UBCSCC Slush 5 2017/18 Results and Feedback

The place to be for a casual day's fun pushing your car to its limits.

UBCSCC Slush 5 2017/18 Results and Feedback

Postby UBCSCC » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:19 am

Hey Everyone,

Thank you all for coming out for our fifth slush series event! Our next event is Slush 6 on March 4th, registration is available now here.

Here are the results from the day!
All Times
Indexed Times
Top Times

For any class group changes and protests, please e-mail us at results @ ubcscc(dot)com within 72 hours of the results being posted. After that, the results are FINAL.

If you don't know which class your car and modifications belong to, please check out our Car Classification Forum If you have any questions, don't be afraid to make a post and ask!
UBCSCC
UBCSCC's Forum Robot

Re: UBCSCC Slush 5 2017/18 Results and Feedback

Postby entrax » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:23 pm

I've got a question regarding cone calls.
CONE.png
CONE.png (3.82 KiB) Viewed 707 times

Sorry about the poor ms paint lol. Those cones on the outside, if say someone understeers into them, are they cone calls? Or are they for track directions as per this (the right side example):

The reason why I ask is because there were a lot of DNF and cone calls when those outside cones were hit, but it seemed out of place for me to mention anything since it was called in by another station that was right next to it.
Marc Brito
1991 MR2 "practically stock but still in ASP" Turbo.
entrax
Novice Driver

Postby 510 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:23 pm

Pointer or leaner cones (any cone laying down) are for directional purposes only - no cone penalty and no dnf for hitting them. Only cones standing upright can result in a cone penalty or a dnf.
Brian Hemming | 1990 Mazda Miata - CSP | 1993 Mazda MX6 - HS
Novice Driver

Postby huckduck » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:32 pm

If you hit the pointer, but NOT the upright, generally it would be a DNF. but of course, that's up to the eyes of the course workers. Station leaders who make the call usually have a bit more experience and should know the difference.
huckduck
Novice Driver

Postby Steffii » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:53 pm

Brian is correct in that there's no 2 second penalty or DNF for hitting pointer cones. When a pointer cone is hit in conjunction with missing a gate or some element indicated by standing cones then DNFs are issued. They're not given for hitting pointer cones on their own though.

There should have been a senior driver at that other station who should know this.

Experienced drivers are always welcome at my novice talks if they need more clarification about working on course :D
Stephanie Lee
01 Honda S2000 [STR]
07 Honda Fit [STF]
UBCSCC Director of Member Relations
UBCSCC President
Current: UBCSCC Advisor
Steffii
2011-12 UBCSCC President

Postby entrax » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:15 pm

thanks guys, yeah that's what i thought regarding the pointer cones. in that case, maybe there was something else that happened there that I didn't see.
Marc Brito
1991 MR2 "practically stock but still in ASP" Turbo.
entrax
Novice Driver

Postby Pip » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:28 pm

Thanks to you guys for putting on another awesome event. The UBC community is so chill and open to everyone. I can't wait for the next Slush. I've been trying to learn to only hit the pointer cones but its a higher skill level than I have:) Pip
Pip
Novice Driver

Postby lowside67 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:50 am

Pip wrote:I've been trying to learn to only hit the pointer cones but its a higher skill level than I have:) Pip

I think ideally if you are working towards something, you should work towards not hitting any cones... ;)

-Mark
Mark Uhlmann, UBCSCC Ex-Pres
CM #51: 1998 Van Diemen
STX #67: 2011 BMW 128i
lowside67
Senior Driver

Return to Autocross (Solo II)