Looking to get Solosprint Licence for trackdays/hillclimbs.

Ready to take your driving to the next level?

Looking to get Solosprint Licence for trackdays/hillclimbs.

Postby Zedzag » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:54 pm

In 2012 I want to move up to doing some trackdays here at mission as well as ORP and the Ridge etc down south .IRDC holds a good two day course which I believe will qualify me for a solosprint licence on Apr.13/14th. I see Victoria Motorsports club also holds a driver training in Mar 17/15. I haven't emailed their driver training instructor yet but does anyone have knowledge as to which one is better or sooner? I'd like to take SCCBC's course at Mission but I haven't seen any 2012 dates posted as of yet....I guess I could contact them as well.

Just though I'd ask here first as I know a lot of you guys have gone this route within the last few years. What's your feedback for a guy like me who wants to move up to the "big leagues" LOL. Of course, I'll be attending as many UBCSCC track days as possible througout the year.
Black 2002 Camaro SS - ESP
Zedzag
Senior Driver

Re: Looking to get Solosprint Licence for trackdays/hillclim

Postby Davey » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:40 pm

Last year I did the driver training down at Pacific Raceways. For 200, maybe 250? (Carson might know, he was there as well!) you get the 'ground school' which is probably fairly standard between programs - Basics of flagging and track courtesy. Then we had 6 sessions on the PR track (which if you haven't been, is oh-em-gee wonderful), followed by a race start. It was an incredible experience, and qualified me for my senior solosprint license. Highly recommended.
Dave Woodside
UBCSCC Secretary of Steak (tube and otherwise)
'97 328iS - The black one with too much front camber (as though that's even possible - nyah!)
Davey
Secretary of Steak

Postby mistermct » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:29 am

I found the Proformance racing school... their programs are quite a bit more than 200-250. I'm still googlin'...
-- Sean
2011 Subaru WRX STI in STU/BS
1984 Toyota Corolla 4AG20V - track car!
mistermct
Senior Driver

Postby Zedzag » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:56 am

mistermct wrote:I found the Proformance racing school... their programs are quite a bit more than 200-250. I'm still googlin'...

That's because you use their cars, equipment etc. I'm looking for something a little less expensive.
Zedzag
Senior Driver

Postby Mirage » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:58 pm

IRDC Ground School was totally worth doing. $50 for the Saturday ground school held at a sponsor's shop near the track, with coffee and donuts and course material provided. Information on PR track layout, safety devices, flags, basic driving techniques were given. We stayed the night, ate lots of fruit, and got a good night's rest for the lapping day on Sunday ($200, no lunch provided).

The school was very novice friendly over the two days. On Sunday, the volunteer instructors (racers) led an hour-long track walk bright and early and also rode with me for two of the four sessions we did. Sessions were grouped by novice/school and normal lapping day goers. They paired me up with an instructor based on my car's drive configuration, just like UBCSCC's AutoX 101. He also gave me an evaluation sheet afterwards of how I did, would the instructor feel confident racing with me, etc.

I took this last July in my Subie on crappy stock RE92 All Seasons and learned lots. I highly recommend doing it (that was my second ever track day, might as well start things off right with a school). Pacific Raceway is a fairly nice track, and I felt it was complex enough for a beginner like myself, in my opinion. With the csambered turns, elevation changes, I really enjoyed my weekend there.

The mock race start at the end of Sunday was a bit of a gong show (some dude in an E30 M3 behind me used the few seconds of green flag to hall ass and pass me). It is not mandatory you do the start, but I imagine they let you do it so you know what it feels like to have other racing cars beside you at speed and rope more people into road racing.
Ken Au-Yeung - HBL Autosports 2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS - STC
PoweredByAloe.com Photo | Video : : Flickr
Mirage
On a break

Postby Aaron » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:09 am

Any course that costs $50 will likely not be the equivilant to SCCBC's to get a novice license.

OP, I too the course at Western Speedway in Vic. It was cheaper by a fair bit but I also coupled it with a weekend to visit family and had a free place to stay. Once you add the ferry cost and overnighting is, the Mission course is better and gives you a bunch of experience on the track you'll actually be driving on.
Aaron Witzke
2010.2011 Exec Team Member
90 Mazda Miata

slow+ugly wrote:i forgot to add i cant drive worth a poop.
Aaron
2011-12 Executive Member

Postby Zedzag » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:33 pm

I wasn't looking for a $50 course but looking at cost options. SCCBC is $532 which is more than others but is also right in my backyard so to speek and known to be a great course. Add up travel, hotel, what if there's car trouble, etc and one could spend north of the $532. SCCBC has posted there dates and app form and their course is earlier than the others. I just sent in my application form :D
Zedzag
Senior Driver

Postby Lateapex » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:55 pm

I did the SCCBC course years ago to get my race licence, it was a good couple days with lots of lapping. At the time they did a simulated race at the end
and a couple guys must have thought F1 was scouting them, as a couple nice cars were damaged badly, so just watch out for the guys who do not get the
idea of a 'school' should be.

For a camaro at minum get some good pads and fluid before the school, ducting would be nice. I do have a 98 Z28 that holds the solosprint record for SS4
already prepped that could be for sale for the right price :)
Lateapex
Novice Driver

Postby Zedzag » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:27 pm

Pads, fluid, and rotors are on the list.I'd hate to have some Mario Andretti wannabe wipe me out so I'll be cautious for sure. I've seen you car for sale and if I were to do it over again, I'd buy a hardtop Z28 and go to town just like yours. My SS is too pretty to me to really abuse. I'm going to get my novice licence in it and probably sell it. I've got another car which is to be my track car but it's still under construction.
Zedzag
Senior Driver

Postby alejo98cx » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:34 am

I'm a little confused (trying to figure out what I need to be able to participate in more events) if I want to participate in events like hill climbs and track days I need an Solosprint licence? I see you say these courses will qualify you for a solosprint licence, does this mean you walk away from the school with one in hand? Or do you have to prove your worth first? How long is this valid for?

I somehow concluded that you don't need one for things like the track days held by this club, am I wrong? What about an event like the Knox Hill Climb, Pacific Raceways Test and tunes?

Thanks for any help guys,

Alejandro.

Edit: Found a bunch of answers here http://www.solobc.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=21

Still have a question thought regarding this section:

ii) For a Hillclimb event, the minimum competitor licensing requirement is as listed:
a) Canadian Residents - a valid senior CACC Solosprint, novice Road Race

I'm guessing these would be the rules for Knox, What is the difference between a Novice solosprint licence and a Novice Road Race licence? How do you get the Road Race one? What are some other solosprint events besides Knox (or equivalents like track days)?
alejo98cx
Novice Driver

Postby Zedzag » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:20 pm

Here's what I've learned through talking to various people:

A novice road race licence is what you get after taking the SCCBC race driver training at mission, like I'm in right now. That will give you a Novice race licence. You then need to compete in a minimum of three races as a novice at mission, within a years time, to be eligible for a Senior race licence.

In order to obtain a Senior Solosprint Licence for Knox and other events requiring the same licence, the SCCBC course is a way in. All I have to do is send a copy of that certificate along with my CACC Solosprint Senior application and I'm good to go.
So the SCCBC course at mission satisfies both requirements listed above.
Zedzag
Senior Driver

Postby Behnam » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:37 am

The other way is to get a novice solosprint license and attend 3 events that don't require a senior solosprint license... last year there were no such events... but if solosprint events are held at BCDC, you can attend them with a novice solosprint license.

Also if you have a number of trackdays under your belt, contact Campbell and see if he lets you go senior.

If you want a race license, SCCBC is the way to go!
Behnam
The Venom

Postby solorex » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:27 pm

^^It would be nice to get some solosprint days going at BCDC again. I know some people at BCMA would be interested in helping organise, but it's looking like most (if not all) of the dates are taken up by soloII and cost is also a factor since typically solosprints have a much smaller number of attendees. It would be great if UBC was willing to host one of these (hint, hint) :D
solorex
Senior Driver

Postby Sead » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:03 pm

I'd be all over helping set up a solosprint at BCDC.
Sead
Senior Driver

Return to Solosprint & Track Days (Solo I)