UBCSCC Track Day #1 - Friday, May 11th, 2012

Ready to take your driving to the next level?

UBCSCC Track Day #1 - Friday, May 11th, 2012

Postby eunos » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:37 pm

Alright boys and girls, here is what you have all been waiting for! I am very exited for this summers program, it will be the best EVER!

This event has an early bird price till the 28th as well. We have some very quick instructors to help the new drivers get up to speed and a very casual and friendly atmosphere. As well, for those competing at Knox, this is a good opportunity to do a last high speed test-n-tune. Solo1 driver? Get a feel for the track and dominate the next day! Perfect opportunity for those starting out or someone looking to pick up that extra half a second.

Mission Raceway Date #1: Friday, May 11th, 2012

Early Bird: $200
Standard Rate: $225

Please make sure you read our Track Day information page before signing up: http://www.ubcscc.com/racing/track-days

Particularly, read the supplemental regulations regarding race tires, noise regulations, and cancellations. Ignorance is no excuse! Also, please make sure to read what classifies you as a novice, those signing up for the wrong group will not be given a refund.

All drivers must hold valid UBCSCC 2012 Membership!

This event is capped at 40 drivers - 12 Novices, 28 Seniors
Senior Sign-Up: https://www.karelo.com/enter_res.php?&BID=214#Ev12030
Novice Sign-Up: https://www.karelo.com/enter_res.php?&BID=214#Ev12031

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask them here!

-Ivan
ivan@ubcscc.com
Eat your burgers plain for the first few months, don't worry about modding them with fancy condiments, spend your money on eating out more or an eating school.

Once you have the hang of eating your plain burger then worry about condiments.
eunos
2011-12 UBCSCC Track Day Coordinator

Re: UBCSCC Trackday #1 - May 11th 2012

Postby mistermct » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:08 pm

Can you link the track day info page please?
-- Sean
2011 Subaru WRX STI in STU/BS
1984 Toyota Corolla 4AG20V - track car!
mistermct
Senior Driver

Postby thenorm » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:05 pm

mistermct wrote:Can you link the track day info page please?

http://www.ubcscc.com/racing/track-days/
Norman Hayton -
2014 Mustang GT in F Street
2004 Ford Focus for Rallycross
2011 FSP Canadian National Champion
thenorm
Pro-lurker

Postby mistermct » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:13 pm

Thanks Norm. I missed that... I was looking for a forum post instead. :oops:
-- Sean
mistermct
Senior Driver

Postby mistermct » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:18 pm

Do we have any other dates confirmed for Mission?
-- Sean
mistermct
Senior Driver

Postby eunos » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:30 am

mistermct wrote:Do we have any other dates confirmed for Mission?

Yes sir. Wednesday, July 11th is confirmed. Im securing one more date for mid to late august.
Eat your burgers plain for the first few months, don't worry about modding them with fancy condiments, spend your money on eating out more or an eating school.

eunos

Postby eunos » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:14 am

Confirmed with the prez, everyone attending this event gets a UBCSCC t-shirt. Get all the shirts!

eunos

Re: UBCSCC Track Day #1 - Friday, May 11th, 2012

Postby hsc » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:15 pm

Hi just a quick question,

I read through the Track Days page for requirement. It stated that "At bare minimum, you MUST flush your brake fluid before this event. All cars must have at minimum 50% brake pads remaining". I understand the brake pad part but not the brake fluid part. Does that mean a complete brake fluid change? It stated in the car maintenance and service manual that I need to have my brake fluid change every 24000km. I am in the middle of the maintenance cycle (so half way) and during my vehicle service last month the tech told me brake fluid change should be due at the next service interval (which is about another 120000km).... Do I still need to flush my brake fluid just for the track day event?

Thanks.
hsc
Novice Driver

Postby Mirage » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:00 am

Yes, you may want to look into that.

Brake fluid absorbs moisture and over time it lowers its boiling point, decreases its effectiveness to withstand high temperatures from braking fast and hard which eventually leads to it boiling. Boiling is no good, as your brake pedal will go to the floor but the car will not stop. You may not notice the difference between old and new brake fluid on the street but you may see it on the track - think about how you may want to go deeper into the braking zones every lap - things get hot very fast!

Motul 5.1 brake fluid would be good to get with its high boiling point. You can get it at Driver's Edge.

Also, you should take into account that the maintenance/service manual is scheduled around a car that gets driven normally, not autoxed and tracked. Consumables such as lubricants should be changed way more frequently than stated.. but to each his own.
Ken Au-Yeung - HBL Autosports 2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS - STC
PoweredByAloe.com Photo | Video : : Flickr
Mirage
On a break

Postby mistermct » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:11 pm

Note from personal experience:
I ran Motul 5.1 in my ~2100lbs Corolla with HP+ pads and boiled the fluid about 5 min into a session (2nd of 4) - this was fresh fluid. I didn't realize how much more brake was available and wasn't pushing hard enough on the pedal - long build-up of heat vs. harder bursts - so braking style is very important too. For the rest of my sessions I started braking harder earlier (still smoothly!) and my pedal came back and the car was fine.

I've also switched to ATE Super Blue - slightly higher boiling points (wet and dry), better reviews, good price point - and have done two trackdays (PR and Mission) with one flush because they were a week apart - I like this fluid. I will flush my fluid for my next trackday (prob Mission) for a few reasons: 1) Mission is hard on brakes, 2) a couple weeks will have passed since last flush, 3) brake fluid is cheap and its a safety thing! I can't stress this enough - going into the main braking zone at 150-180 kmh, pushing your pedal to the floor, and having almost nothing happen is a moment you won't soon forget. You or the driver in front of you if you're too close.
-- Sean
mistermct
Senior Driver

Postby s5xy » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:54 pm

Hey, I was wondering if non-ubcscc members are able to buy a daily membership on the day of the track event in order to participate? I'm only in the country for 2-3 months a year and can only attend a few events, and therefore only want a 1-day pass membership.

Thanks in advance!
s5xy
Novice Driver

Postby eunos » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:29 am

s5xy wrote:Hey, I was wondering if non-ubcscc members are able to buy a daily membership on the day of the track event in order to participate? I'm only in the country for 2-3 months a year and can only attend a few events, and therefore only want a 1-day pass membership.

Thanks in advance!

Absolutely, 5$ daily, see you at the track :wink:

eunos

Postby shadow86 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:51 pm

hi just wondering how close to full the senior group is for may 11. I'd like to know before deciding to take the day off work.

had fun at track day #3 last year, hoping to attend most of the ones this year. thanks in advance.
Philip Szeto - 2011 Audi TTS
shadow86
Novice Driver

Postby Mirage » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:26 am

Yup, there are spaces still available for both senior and novice. Be sure to tell your friends too - the more the merrier. :)
Ken Au-Yeung - HBL Autosports 2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS - STC
PoweredByAloe.com Photo | Video : : Flickr
Mirage
On a break

Postby eunos » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:47 pm

Novice Sold out! One Senior group full and other filling up!

(Some really cool cars coming out - everything from econoboxes to Ferrari/Lambo/Porsche Supercars)

eunos

Postby GTR-Z51 » Mon May 07, 2012 1:37 pm

I see that first cars are on track at 9:30 am, when do the gates open for check-in?
2006 Z51 Vette
GTR-Z51
Novice Driver

Postby eunos » Mon May 07, 2012 3:17 pm

Gates will open at 7:45.

Driver Sign-in will be from 7:45-8:45 with the Driver's Meeting at 9:00. We will also have an additional Novice meeting.

First group will be out on track at 9:30.

As well, I will email all the registered drivers a small package the evening before the trackday. It looks like it will be a sunny and great day!

Please NOTE: You MUST sign in and attend the driver's meeting in time, otherwise we cannot allow you on track. This is a black and white regulation that is established by the track and there are no exceptions!

eunos

Postby thenorm » Sat May 12, 2012 8:58 pm

It was great seeing everyone come out to our first track day of the year!! The weather was fantastic and the day went smoothly with no incidents.

I had a great time leading in the Novice drivers group and feel you guys did great learning the proper lines and passing protocols.

Hopefully we will see you all at our next Track Day on July 11th, 2012. Registration will be open soon.

I saw some cameras on site, so hopefully you photographers can share the pictures and videos that you have.

-Norman
Norman Hayton -
2014 Mustang GT in F Street
2004 Ford Focus for Rallycross
2011 FSP Canadian National Champion
thenorm
Pro-lurker

Postby Grae » Sun May 13, 2012 12:52 am

I had a great time while it lasted! I just wanted to say thanks to all of you that helped / offered to help with my broken clutch problems! I really appreciate it all.

For those of you interested: https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hp ... 3813_n.jpg
The linkage connecting the slave cylinder to the clutch snapped off inside the transmission and jammed. At first I thought the cylinder was just leaking but when I replaced it, it burst again because the linkage didnt budge when it was pressurized.

I managed to take a few pictures in the morning -- posted to flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/77032935@N ... 703836644/

Thanks again to everyone who helped out with tools, rides, suggestions, labour and inevitably a lift home!
Graeme Adamson
1992 Nissan 240sx - SM
1990 Nissan GT-R - SSM
Grae
2011-12 UBCSCC Treasurer

Postby ilvtofu » Sun May 13, 2012 4:41 pm

Justin Chan
2000 Emerald MIca Miata
ilvtofu
Senior Driver

Next

Return to Solosprint & Track Days (Solo I)