hydraulic press operator

All general membership questions & announcements belong here.

hydraulic press operator

Postby svtcanuck » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:49 pm

Are you or do you know a person/businees who is proficient at operating a hydraulic press?

I need/want some stock rubber bushings pressed out of my Focus SVT rear lower control arms and new poly bushings pressed in. The bushings and control arms are brand new. Installation of the control arm is not required.
I've gotten a couple quotes and quite frankly they seem a bit off. One was potentially $200 to swap 4 bushings. I could be wrong but I just don't see this being much more than a 20-30min job for someone who is familiar with operating a press. If you're familiar with operating a press and I'm mistaken feel free to educate me.

If you know someone or a business where I can get this done proficiently and correctly without having to pay an arm and a leg please let me know. Thanks
svtcanuck
Novice Driver

Re: hydraulic press operator

Postby Behnam » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:15 pm

$200 and the control arms are already off the car? that sounds expensive...

Do you have access to a torch?
Behnam
The Venom

Postby solorex » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:47 am

I am sure there are several people on here that have presses. I have one. But I am way to busy at the moment to help out :(
solorex
Senior Driver

Postby svtcanuck » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:38 pm

Behnam wrote:$200 and the control arms are already off the car? that sounds expensive...

Do you have access to a torch?

Yep, it does sound like too much. Which is why I'm here asking the local auto-x crowd for assistance. Someone else within the group may have upgraded to poly bushings.
I was even tempted to buy my own press. KMS had a 10ton press on sale for $150. But I don't have a garage and my basement laundry room just doesn't have room for it.

I think I know where you're going with the torch and I'd very much rather not go there. I don't think it'll help anyway. The stock rubber bushings are in a metal sleeve and so are the poly bushings.
svtcanuck
Novice Driver

Postby svtcanuck » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:51 pm

solorex wrote:I am sure there are several people on here that have presses. I have one. But I am way to busy at the moment to help out :(

I don't even need to find someone who has a press. If you've taken your car in somewhere for work, preferably this similar specific bushing replacement work, and been charged a reasonable price, let me know where and I'll go see/talk to them.
svtcanuck
Novice Driver

Return to UBCSCC General Forum