BMW 357is

Share you car build or other projects you have going on

Re: BMW 357is

Postby lowside67 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:40 am

I know I've been delinquent on updating this post but we have been working so hard to get the car done and out for testing that documenting the process has taken a bit of a back seat. However, with that said, we had the car out for our first test day yesterday at Porsche Club's autocross and it was a great success - we ran around 10 autocross runs and some shenanigans after the day was officially over and the only mechanical failure we experienced was popping a coolant hose off!

Impressions...

We are definitely chasing some handling gremlins and are going to have to do some work to make this car turn as well as it did before. The car weighed 2890lbs in DSP trim (including rollbar) and we ran 600/750 springs with a big UUC front bar and stock rear bar. The car now weighs in at 2410lbs and on 500/650 springs with UUC front bar and no rear bar, the car is floppy as all hell, not impressive at all. Tires, brakes, everything took most of the day to get back up to snuff after being out of service for almost 8 months. After playing with the shocks all day, we managed to get it from "awful" to "okay" but the car still needs more help, I think we are going to go back to the old springs and test with those.

But who cares about turning right? Lets talk power... the car HAULS in a straight line. The car was around 2900lbs and around 200rwhp before, now is around 2400lbs and around 325rwhp... The transmission is AWESOME - it is loud as hell and I _HATE_ my clutch, but the transmission is epic... shifting is effortless and insanely fast. I have never driven a dog box with straight cut gears, and as scary as it sounds, you literally just release the shock off the driveline and pull the shifter into the next gear, no clutching, no delays... It's not quite a sequential but it is definitely going to pay dividends on the track; at autocross there is so little shifting that it's probably not worth the downsides. With that said, this is definitely a mod I am happy with.

Brakes... feel pretty good, need more stopping! I think I am going to try and find some $$$ in the next few months and upgrade my calipers, my stock 328 brakes are just not going to cut it! Pedal effort is fairly serious but doable without any boosters or assist.

A few photos... we also took some video though it didnt work that well, hopefully can get a copy of that later on this week.

A huge thanks to my buddy Kyle for the amazing photos:

My favourite photo:

Mark
Mark Uhlmann, UBCSCC Ex-Pres
CM #51: 1998 Van Diemen
STX #67: 2011 BMW 128i
lowside67
Senior Driver

Postby lowside67 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:55 pm

Nothing to see here
Last edited by lowside67 on Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lowside67
Senior Driver

Postby crazycanadian » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:15 pm

Looks like a lot of fun mark... Glad to hear the car is starting to perform the way you want it to... What did you end up breaking this time??? Have you thought about getting a temp gauge installed?? I remember at the UBC track day you didn't have one..
crazycanadian
2011-12 Executive Member

Postby lowside67 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:41 pm

We sheared the driveshaft in two ;)

Rebuilding stronger...

I have full datalogging in the car including water and oil temps all setup now. It was fairly warm and never went above 190 water, 235 oil.

Mark
lowside67
Senior Driver

Postby lowside67 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:12 pm

I've had a few people ask about my project... it's now sold and unfortunately I have lost many of the build photos along the way, but I have restored as many as I could find to this thread.

Serious face:

Here is a lap of Oregon Raceway Park with the car... definitely could have used some bigger rear tires, you can see towards the end of the lap they are getting hot!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgcQGFMaFHc

Here are some photos that I don't think were ever posted of the "final" project:

lowside67
Senior Driver

Previous

Return to Builds and Projects