BMW 357is

Share you car build or other projects you have going on

Re: BMW 357is

Postby lowside67 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:35 am

I know an update has been a long time coming but rest assured we have not been taking any time off! Parts are starting to arrive left and right and we have been installing as quickly as we can.

The cockpit is done, pedal mount was done by the fabricator and we have finished the seat mount in its final position. Brake hardlines are also well under way and should be done by the end of the week with a little luck.

We picked up bellhousing round 2 yesterday and took the motor out so we could mount the new transmission, bellhousing, and headers to the motor and put it back in the car for a more final test fit.

99 Camaro LS1, Tex Racing SR1 4spd gearbox.

The E36 looks on with horror as it starts to grasp what is planned for it!

Motor installed, transmission on a temporary crossmember, time to trim the tunnel to allow for the new shifter. Fitment is AWESOME, the extra-setback top mount shifter puts the shifter right where it needs to be with my rearward shifted driver cockpit.

Checking header clearance... tight, but they fit!

At the end of the night... put the doors back on, wheels back on, dropped it on the scales with the drivetrain in it:

Obviously there is still lots left to go back in the car... still have all plumbing and wiring to do, rad, front end, trunk, and driveshaft left to go in. However, it appears to be well on its way to the sub 2400lb goal!

Mark
Last edited by lowside67 on Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Uhlmann, UBCSCC Ex-Pres
CM #51: 1998 Van Diemen
STX #67: 2011 BMW 128i
lowside67
Senior Driver

Postby Traum » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:36 am

lowside67 wrote:Checking header clearance... tight, but they fit!

That is some pretty tight clearance, Mark. With the car running and the engine getting loaded and unloaded, I am a little worried if there is enough clearance there to have the header not bang against the chassis...

Your thoughts on this?

-Lik
Traum
Senior Driver

Postby lowside67 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:24 pm

Honestly, not that worried right now. The mounts and headers are both loose in the photo and there is a bit of wiggle room for sure, worst case scenario we will just "create" a little clearance on the frame rail. I just cut a 20 square inch section out of my transmission tunnel without much remorse really, I fear no clearance issue in the engine bay... :lol:
lowside67
Senior Driver

Postby Traum » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:10 pm

Good to know that you already have a plan B all thought out. :)

-Lik
Traum
Senior Driver

Postby crazycanadian » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:07 pm

its a race car if you have to build some solid mounts with not bushings... problem solved..
crazycanadian
2011-12 Executive Member

Postby Behnam » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:14 am

crazycanadian wrote:solid mounts

Gotta keep those lovin good vibrations a happenin with her
Good good good good vibrations
Ooom bop bop....
Behnam
The Venom

Postby lowside67 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:00 pm

Quick test fit of the new rad, time to start thinking about a rad fan and coolant hoses.

BOATLOADS of room compared to the 6 cyl! (Disclaimer, the rad is balancing itself right now but slightly leaning forward)

Working on the transmission crossmember tonight, not much to show but making some progress finally!

Mark
Last edited by lowside67 on Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lowside67
Senior Driver

Postby lhung » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:40 pm

Great to hear the transmission issue is solved and ready to rock! Now for the final stretch before the finish line =)! Good Luck!
Lesley Hung
2005 Honda S2000 [BS]
lhung
Senior Driver

Postby lowside67 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:45 pm

If there's one thing I've learned... if you want to build a racecar and not truly hate your life in the process, make sure you dont have a schedule or a budget - at this point I am almost out of time and definitely out of money.

The schedule calls for a test day at Mission on May 13th - that gives me 3 1/2 weeks to get this car from a "collection of parts" to a CAR. We aren't quite at "mission impossible" yet but rather at "mission damn near impossible and the smallest of setbacks is going to screw us". From the onset of this project, the one thing that I have tried to do is do it "right" the first time. This week for the first time I am starting to prepare myself for the possibility that despite our best efforts, there is a real chance that it might not get done before Knox. It's an ugly thought for sure but I have to balance that with a positive one - I am also really happy with the way the car is turning out - we are not racecar builders by profession, hell I can barely use a screwdriver, but everything that we have designed and built is something that we are proud of how it's been done.

I cant even begin to describe how much I've learned during this process - if it wasnt on such an absurd schedule, this could actually be called fun! One of the things that I am learning is that it's not the big things on the list, in fact it's not even the small things on the list that take the time. It's the things that dont even make the list that take up the time. It's not parking the ECU in the compartment that takes time, it's not plugging it in, it's building the cover to keep most of the rain and debris out that wraps around the rollbar and three tiny little factory mounting points that takes the time!

As always, an essential component to this project is the overwhelming support of my friends. One of them rather handily happens to have access to a waterjet! I have been brushing up on my rudimentary Sketchup CAD skills to design some of my pieces needed for the car. Then after perfecting the model, we import the 3D model onto the waterjet software and in just a few minutes, the design is perfectly replicated in the material of choice - typically aluminum.

One of this week's projects along with the transmission crossmember v3, switch panel, brake bias adjuster, etc was the cover for the ECU... it would be relatively simple if it wasnt an odd shaped trapezoid with unevenly spaced mounting points, a cage bar sticking through and two wiring harnesses coming through!

After measuring and modelling it in Sketchup, I print it full sized and "test fit" as best as you can with paper. In this case, it took probably 90 minutes of "Print, cut out, test fit, measure, fix on the computer... repeat" ugh.

Andre working his magic on the waterjet:

However, sometimes things just work out! In fact, these little victories really are what keeps the morale up and keeps us trekking on.

The updates have been few and far between but it truly isnt because we arent working, it's just that it really is the stupid "non jobs" that take up ALL your time - the sort of stuff that is so trivial it's hardly worth taking a photo but it's another detail that needs to be sorted out nonetheless. Tomorrow the car is going to the pros for a few things we cant do in the garage - mostly notably the exhaust fabrication. The clutch and flywheel have arrived so we are also going to try to permanently get the tranny installed at this point.

Mark
Last edited by lowside67 on Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lowside67
Senior Driver

Postby crazycanadian » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:35 am

Looks great Mark... Having access to that kind of equipment makes the finished products look sooooo much nicer...
crazycanadian
2011-12 Executive Member

Postby lowside67 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:07 am

As usual, the slow updates dont mean we arent working on the car!

The car has been at Blitzkrieg for the last few days, they have been sorting out the clutch/hydraulic release bearing that I am using, finalizing the driveline angles, and doing the exhaust and a few odds and ends.

Bob @ Blitzkrieg's custom fan mount to securely mount that big 16" SPAL

Just a teaser at this point but...

I got the car back tonight and have been hard at work putting some of the "details" on the car...

Finished the little bracket I built for the brake bias adjuster:

Finished mounting the quick-disconnect removable switch panel/fusebox. Time to pull it off and get the wiring done!

Work party Saturday night... more to come. T-minus 11 days to tuning, 14 days to testing, 20 days to the Knox Mountain Hillclimb...

Mark
lowside67
Senior Driver

Postby crazycanadian » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:49 am

excellent work.. I really like to see how brackets were made for the cooling fan and the push pins that go threw the rad weren't used... All though you'll want to make sure you have a small bit of an air gab between the fan and the rad... If you don't the vibrations from driving will cause the fan to chew into your nice rad and cause it to leak over time...
crazycanadian
2011-12 Executive Member

Postby lowside67 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:13 am

It's got a rubber grommet that you can order with the fan that seals it between the fan and rad surface so you dont lose any cooling efficiency but dont vibrate the rad to early failure like you mentioned.
lowside67
Senior Driver

Postby Aaron » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:06 pm

I'm sure Bob knows what he is doing...

I see you painted your switch panel.... lol
Aaron Witzke
2010.2011 Exec Team Member
90 Mazda Miata

slow+ugly wrote:i forgot to add i cant drive worth a poop.
Aaron
2011-12 Executive Member

Postby lowside67 » Tue May 03, 2011 9:50 am

Lots of details, coming up on crunch time, lots still to go, eep.

Wired up the switch panel:

Mounted in car:

Jeremy has been working like mad on the hardlines and softlines for brake and clutch...

Fluid reservoirs all mounted and lines complete:

Pressure lines mounted and complete:

I finished up the polycarbonate windows, the rear is bolted into rivnuts so it's easily removable (larger washers coming):

Sides are done as well, the rear was a nice pre-cut piece, the sides NOT SO MUCH!! Much test fitting later, they are done, though not bolted in yet, still playing with mounting solutions, not really a priority right now:

Hopefully will have fuel lines tomorrow, will finish brake hardlines tonight, going to try and get most of the chassis wiring done as well.

Mark
Last edited by lowside67 on Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lowside67
Senior Driver

Postby andre4444 » Tue May 03, 2011 11:31 am

looks awesome! best of luck getting it done before knox!!
Andre Millette
'99 Miata - STR
andre4444
Dope Status

Postby eunos » Wed May 04, 2011 12:17 pm

"This just went from mission impossible....to mission infrickin-sanity"

:D

You can do it man! This thing looks like really serious business.
Eat your burgers plain for the first few months, don't worry about modding them with fancy condiments, spend your money on eating out more or an eating school.

Once you have the hang of eating your plain burger then worry about condiments.
eunos
2011-12 UBCSCC Track Day Coordinator

Postby Mirage » Wed May 04, 2011 4:31 pm

Looking good Mark! Love the custom control panel! Have you decided where you will be putting the UBCSCC "dead cone" sticker??
Ken Au-Yeung - HBL Autosports 2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS - STC
PoweredByAloe.com Photo | Video : : Flickr
Mirage
On a break

Postby Aaron » Fri May 06, 2011 6:42 pm

eunos wrote:"This just went from mission impossible....to mission infrickin-sanity"

:D

You can do it man! This thing looks like really serious business.

Oh FNF quotes. Saw it today,... don't know what to think.
Aaron Witzke
2010.2011 Exec Team Member
90 Mazda Miata

slow+ugly wrote:i forgot to add i cant drive worth a poop.
Aaron
2011-12 Executive Member

Postby Sead » Sun May 08, 2011 8:47 pm

Sead
Senior Driver

PreviousNext

Return to Builds and Projects