Ginger EF build

Share you car build or other projects you have going on

Ginger EF build

Postby ginger » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:42 am

Hey everyone,

So I figured I would make a build thread as it usually keeps me motivated to work on my car and its fun to share my work with others.

Ill start with my background, my name is Kevan and Im going to school for mechanical engineering at UBC so funds on my build are quite tight at the moment and it forces me to make a lot of stuff myself. Ive been building my car for about 2 years now and autocrossing it for about a year of that. Its also my daily driver and has been holding up pretty well for the most part!

History on the car:

Picked it up for $250 from abbotsford with the engine in the back seat. Spent the first few weeks putting the engine back into the car and getting it drivable. Some early pictures:

sandblasted the valvecover, otherwise its a little messey

The worst part was the green interior! so I changed that out pretty quickly.
before:
after:

If you are wondering about the shift knob, I started turning it on my lathe but my motor burnt out so I was waiting on a new motor for quite a while. Its normal size now though, will grab a pic when I have a chance.

Also made myself a new horn button in the sandblaster
As I was poking around the body I checked the usual rust spots on ef’s and low and behold my finger went through

I cut back quite a ways and welded a new piece in and painted it back up. Its not perfect but hard to see from a ways back.

Always good to have someone to help you as well!

small accent to the valve cover

One of the things I really didnt like about the ef exhaust was the two 90’s in the back to run the muffler under the bumper. I decided to use a short muffler that came in the car when I bought it and move over the cutout piece in the bumper to the passenger side. I had never done body work before this but Id done quite a bit of drywalling so I picked up some plastic epoxy and special filler and gave it a shot. It doesnt look bad from a ways away but its noticeable up close. again a learning experience for me!

I soon got the car through aircare and started driving it around a lot. A while went by so I grabbed some pictures while it was clean.

I wanted to play with the ecu a bit so I converted to obd1 and picked up one of these

its a constantly going process tuning on the street to make me happy but I enjoy the work.

I managed to find a beat up integra for $250 to take the engine and swap components from, its now waiting for a rebuild and the it will go in.

Also fixed up my ripped and torn drivers seat with some passenger side upholstery

This is about when I started racing autocross and got hooked instantly.

Had to pick up some new tires as the ones that came on the momo’s are very cheap tires. Grabbed some of Sheridan’s old slicks and they make a world of difference

Test fit is a bit wide :P

Finally I tried throwing on some ITB’s I had laying around just for fun. got it to idle but couldnt tune properly as I dont have the full version of crome and freelog doesnt allow me to log tps. These will come back in the future though, promised

before

comparison

installed, mostly...

More updates to come as they happen!
Kevan Cote - black 1991 Civic si SMF
ginger
President

Re: Ginger EF build

Postby thenorm » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:12 am

neat.
those EF's are fast and easy to drive. I set FTD in one once.
Norman Hayton -
2014 Mustang GT in F Street
2004 Ford Focus for Rallycross
2011 FSP Canadian National Champion
thenorm
Pro-lurker

Postby crazycanadian » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:55 pm

Awsome Kevin.. Keep at it.. I would love to hear that thing roar with itb's..
crazycanadian
2011-12 Executive Member

Postby ginger » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:27 am

Found some more torque for sale. Hopefully pick it up this weekend and start the rebuild soon!

ginger
President

Postby ginger » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:41 am

Finally got some stock lights for my car. It came with some aftermarket ones that I ran for 2 years but one of the hid ballasts failed so I decided to put the stock ones back on.

Before:

After:
ginger
President

Postby Probie » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:38 pm

Nice work Kevan! Stoked to see a build thread section on the forums
1998 Nissan 240sx- STX
Probie
Novice Driver

Postby ginger » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:33 am

Probie wrote:Nice work Kevan! Stoked to see a build thread section on the forums

Thanks! yah Im hoping to get more peoples car builds on here so we all have something extra to waste time reading ;)

washed my girls this weekend

Sorry for the blurry pic, it was getting a bit dark

Also picked this up, B20Z, 2L CRV motor. Should get me around the track a bit quicker once I rebuild it :)

ginger
President

Postby crazycanadian » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:54 pm

That 2L will be nice... I have driven a CRX with a CRV 2L in it before.. It really wakes the car up..
crazycanadian
2011-12 Executive Member

Postby Sead » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:09 pm

What size offset are your Momo Quasars?
Sead
Senior Driver

Postby ginger » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:29 am

Sead wrote:What size offset are your Momo Quasars?

They are 15x7 et 27. Quite like the fitment without spacers or anything.
ginger
President

Postby ginger » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:52 am

No update for the civic but took the e30 for a nice road trip up to green lake just outside 70 mile house. Went well until the way back when I stepped on it coming out of a pee break and the auto trans started slipping on me. Limped it to yale at my top speed of about 50km/h where I had free towing to poco. Luckily last year I bought a 5 speed swap so now I have an excuse to make the time to put that in!

ginger
President

Postby Probie » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:48 pm

That sucks that it happened so far away but you won't regret the 5 speed once its done
1998 Nissan 240sx- STX
Probie
Novice Driver

Postby ginger » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:05 pm

Yah it was all good though, I had towing on bcaa to take me home :)

So made a new toy tonight, now I can fine tune my maps a bit more
ginger
President

Postby Grasshopper » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:49 am

You know this means i now have to bribe you with a hottub to come help me on my car...
Ryan Richman - exUBCSCC VP
1994 Mazda Miata 1.8T - Green - SSM
1994 Mazda Miata 1.8NA - Blue - Doryfish
2007 Ford Ranger - Race Truck/ family support vehicle
2000 Audi A4 2.8 Supercharged (sold)
Grasshopper
Senior Driver

Postby ginger » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:57 am

It was a fairly busy weekend for me. Started off trying to find out why my car was having a bit of trouble starting after it got quite warm, compression was good across then check the plugs and saw this
definitely makes it harder to start. cleaned up the plugs and gapped them all and starts up and runs much better now, still think I may have a small headgasket leak though... :( New motor is going to have to be worked on a bit faster!

while I was at home I decided to test fit some flairs I bought a while back, would be nice to have a fender over my 13x8's for racing so I can lower my car a bit and I dont risk digging in my fenders under hard braking. Not sure about them but Ill cut them to fit a bit better and see then
Finally picked up some wheels as they came with pretty much brand new direzza z1's. rims dont look bad and they are quite light at 13lbs a rim but they are 4x114.3 so Id need an adapter, well see. For the mean time tires are going on my momo's for the slush series. Anyone have a good tire shop that can help me swap the tires over?
ginger
President

Postby crazycanadian » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:57 pm

I can do the tire swap for you Kevin, but my shops out in coquitlum.. I am liking the flairs.. Surprised that plug was only causing hot no start conditions.. I am surprised it wasn't miss firing under load..
crazycanadian
2011-12 Executive Member

Postby solorex » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:02 am

You should only be running low enough with the 13x8's so that your stock fenders barely touch on very hard/bumpy corners. I have been running this size on my CRX for years without flairs with no issues. The smaller diameter of the 13's lowers the car 1" already. If you feel you have to do flairs, try and do them nice. There are too many hack-jobs I have seen on EF's over the years! ;)
solorex
Senior Driver

Postby ginger » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:40 pm

Sent you a message adam! Good to know about the 13" ride height. I was going to use the ride height to adjust camber as I dont have adjustable plates. If I do end up putting on the flairs then they will be installed as cleanly as possible :)
ginger
President

Postby ginger » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:43 pm

Few updates, got my new tires mounted thanks to Adam! went out saturday event to set up the course for the enduro and while chris was testing the course in my car blew my coolant hose... so late saturday night I was fixing the hose, set up a quick alignment before the enduro on sunday. Very fun event and hope that the people who came out had a good time as well!

Picture from my alignment
ginger
President

Postby ginger » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:14 pm

Suppose its time for a quick update,

Car has had a leaking head gasket for a while and I havent had the time to take my head off as I needed the car for commuting daily, now Im back in school and I have no time to work on the car so I did the cheap thing that may blow my engine and put some liquid aluminum stuff in the coolent to stop the leak. It was working pretty well for a while, even through some auto-x events until another executive...... forgot some cars have a switch to control the cooling fan and overheated it, blew a rad hose and in the end looks like the gasket is leaking again. At least I only drive it to, from and at events now so hopefully holds until january when the new engine will go in!
ginger
President

Next

Return to Builds and Projects