Postby Behnam » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:47 am

ginger wrote: gasket is leaking again.

ginger wrote:new engine will go in!

New engine = 13b? Who needs a gasket when you can vroom without :mrgreen:
Behnam
The Venom

Re: Ginger EF build

Postby ginger » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:14 pm

Just the shoe poking out of her winter blanket. January will bring a new heart and possibly more power after driving adams 323 and finding out how much fun much more power is :D
Kevan Cote - black 1991 Civic si SMF
ginger
President

Postby Grasshopper » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:46 pm

New and much faster engine! Silly exec member... I head he also blew up an engine in iRacing. For those of you out there who use iRacing, this is indeed possible.
Ryan Richman - exUBCSCC VP
1994 Mazda Miata 1.8T - Green - SSM
2004 Mini Cooper S - Lemon Grey
1994 Mazda Miata 1.8NA - Blue - Doryfish (sold)
2007 Ford Ranger - Race Truck/ family support vehicle
2000 Audi A4 2.8 Supercharged (sold)
Grasshopper
Senior Driver

Postby ginger » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:06 pm

Grabbed some new sticky tires tonight! Once the new engine is in these should help me put down that power in the wet

Also grabbed a momo steering wheel, wink mirror and test pipe for a new exhaust, its so hard to say no to parts...

Thanks Jay!
ginger
President

Postby ginger » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:42 pm

So Im on a coop term now which means I can get back into the build! Picked up a solvent tank to clean up the new motor and parts.

Should be able to fit the whole head into there :)

Also pulled the b18 out from under the porch to get off the stand and start stealing parts from. Coming in the mail are new bearings for the bottom end, rings, arp rod bolts, some cheapo motor mounts to take dimensions from so I can machine some billet parts and an exedy stage 1 clutch :)

ginger
President

Postby ginger » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:56 pm

Yesterday I was able to head to poco after work and finally get started on the engine! New parts came in over the last week which have gotten me very excited :)

The mounts are the cheapo yonaka mounts from ebay but if they put the motor where it is suppose to be in my engine bay I will copy the dimensions and machine some billet mounts for the future.

Oil pan off, main caps off

Rod caps off, the crank looks really nice, no scoring or scratching I can see of. Also passes the fingernail test.

Pushed out the pistons and they look pretty decent, discolouration but otherwise came out clean, no hangups. You can also see my ziplocks in the background, everything is labelled to go back in the right place :)

Bare crank, the pain of taking off the auto flywheel started here, one of the bolts was super stuck and with little head it took some work to get it off but a bloody knuckle later I got it off

WOO! Bare block, this was my goal for the night and its always nice to hit your goals :) Next up is to clean everything off in my solvent tank and mic everything out before putting in the new bearings, rings, and rod bolts.

and finally the pistons and crank

I hope this will go fairly quickly and hopefully this weekend I can get a good chunk of the work done
ginger
President

Postby crazycanadian » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:46 am

Looks great Kevin... I would invest in the money to have your parts hot tanked and properly cleaned up... Solvent tanks are nice, but they don't clean out all the $#!^ in the oil passages and places where you can't get a brush well...
crazycanadian
2011-12 Executive Member

Postby ginger » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:37 am

I have thought about getting them tanked, who does it around the poco area? Also what do you usually hot tank? Block, pistons, rods, crank, head?
ginger
President

Postby solorex » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:47 pm

I realize you are trying to save $$ with the Yonaka mounts; but seriously, it is not worth you time and effort to CAD design/CNC your own mounts and source the urethane bushings when HASport has already done this. Just save up for the HASports, you should be able to find them in the used marketplace pretty easily. Just speaking from experience, I have seen cheaper mounts in EF's before and engine placement/axle geometry has not been good.

Another thing to mention is that don't be too quick to hack off the front mount on your factory front cross-member, a friend of mine is having issues with the engine torquing and cracking the rear cross-member. A front mount will fix this. I am planning on designing up a front mount option this spring (if I can find the time).
solorex
Senior Driver

Postby ginger » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:07 pm

solorex wrote:I realize you are trying to save $$ with the Yonaka mounts; but seriously, it is not worth you time and effort to CAD design/CNC your own mounts and source the urethane bushings when HASport has already done this. Just save up for the HASports, you should be able to find them in the used marketplace pretty easily. Just speaking from experience, I have seen cheaper mounts in EF's before and engine placement/axle geometry has not been good.

Another thing to mention is that don't be too quick to hack off the front mount on your factory front cross-member, a friend of mine is having issues with the engine torquing and cracking the rear cross-member. A front mount will fix this. I am planning on designing up a front mount option this spring (if I can find the time).

I hear what you mean but for me its less about the time and money and more about the experience of doing it myself and learning, also I got the aluminum and machines available to me for free :) The placement however I am worried about, I have heard of peoples axles wearing out fast because of poor alignment and thats really something Im hoping to avoid.

Thanks for the advice on the front mount, Ill refrain from cutting it off. If your interested Im always happy to help design stuff
ginger
President

Postby solorex » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:06 am

ginger wrote:Thanks for the advice on the front mount, Ill refrain from cutting it off. If your interested Im always happy to help design stuff

Do a test fit, it will be close and with the Yonaka mounts the tranny may touch the front. Thanks for the offer, may take you up on that and we could make a handful of them.
solorex
Senior Driver

Postby crazycanadian » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:09 am

crazycanadian wrote:Looks great Kevin... I would invest in the money to have your parts hot tanked and properly cleaned up... Solvent tanks are nice, but they don't clean out all the $#!^ in the oil passages and places where you can't get a brush well...

Talk to a local machine shop, I know there are a couple around that area... I'll ask my friend Rob, who he prefers out that way... I am not sure, I build transmissions not motors... :)
crazycanadian
2011-12 Executive Member

Postby ginger » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:26 pm

Woo so got to get some work done, saturday night played with the welder a bit, still quite new to it haha but I like playing around. Some aluminum butt weld:

Then I got to taking my head apart for inspection and cleaning. Its very clean and looks great inside, exhaust valves are a bit dirty but to be expected

Engine disassembled :)

and block...
ginger
President

Postby ginger » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:08 am

Well I have an update but not about the car. This is a side project ive been working on for quite a while, a small cnc router. Ive always wanted a small cnc to machine my own parts and whatnot and it seemed like a good challenge to build my own. Ive been working on it on and off for the past year and a bit and Ive hit a point where I though I could share my work ahha. Last night I finally had the motors turning based on some gcode running from my computer. Very exciting for me as now I really just need to build the frame and I should have something working pretty quickly! Here is a short video:

ginger
President

Postby ginger » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:13 pm

This weekend was a great weekend for work! Managed to get a full day in on saturday and got most of the bottom end back together in that time. New piston rings, bearings, etc. Pictures :)

Started off checking my deck

Then gave the cylinders a deglaze, they weren't bad but might as well do it while its all apart

Also wanted to make sure my cylinders were all within spec to ensure I didn't need a rebore

Cleaned my crank to a nice shine in the solvent tank, managed to get all the little gunk out of the corners

Then I went on to check the crank for roundness. It was all within spec which made a happy Kevan!

Picked up my flywheels from the shop as well (one for the b20 and I did my e30 as well, thats a later project though :)

Woo! ARP rod bolts installed, one less thing to worry about breaking

First piston went in, a bit of trouble at first because I didn't clean the piston ring grooves well enough so the rings wouldn't compress. Cleaned them out with a knife and they slipped right in afterwards.

All the pistons in their new home

Bearings goings in

Caps on and torqued down! Good time to end the night
ginger
President

Postby ginger » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:16 pm

Very small update for tonight, new rear main seal went in with ultimate black gasket seal and cleaned up my valves to a nice shine :)

ginger
President

Postby crazycanadian » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:22 am

Looks good Kevin... That CNC project looks pretty wicked...
crazycanadian
2011-12 Executive Member

Postby gtirnick » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:18 pm

no b16 head?????
STR #81
gtirnick
Senior Driver

Postby ginger » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:54 pm

gtirnick wrote:no b16 head?????

Thats the next step, Im building off of a student budget haha little steps. I may already have the itb's for the b16 head though... :)
ginger
President

Postby ginger » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:32 am

Woohoo! Milestone hit, bottom end all back together with new oil pump, gasket and everything fresh :) feels pretty good.

Also got a bit more head work done, took out the old valve seals, these things are a huge b**ch to get out! managed to rig a pretty good tool with some vice grips and a screwdriver :)

ginger
President

PreviousNext

Return to Builds and Projects