Ginger EF build

Share you car build or other projects you have going on

Re: Ginger EF build

Postby ginger » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:46 pm

Great day of work yesterday! Head time so started off lapping my valves, nice fresh new surface :)

After and before

Then dunked the head in the solvent tank for a good clean off before reassembly, sparkly isnt it?

New valve seals going in, no burning oil here

Then put in all of my valves and springs, those damn retainers are super finicky! but I managed to get them all nice and settled home

Head on block!

Then valve cover on

Very excited to get to this point :) Going to pick up a new tranny this week so I dont have to rebuild mine so quickly, also it may come with an engine... more on that later.

Kevan Cote - black 1991 Civic si SMF
ginger
President

Postby ginger » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:14 pm

Didn't have too much time tonight but I am quite happy with the work I got done. Wanted to start taking the motor out of the car and got very close to it!

How it started

And she is ready to be pulled out, only 2 bolts holding it in now but ran out of time and couldn't find a cable to wrap around so will have to wait for next work day!
ginger
President

Postby ginger » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:54 am

Well I may have a problem, with engine buying... Actually no its not a problem, im very good at doing it ahha. Picked up a b16a first gen the other night. Most likely will steal the head and throw it onto the b20 block in the nearer future. Very clean motor with approximately 65k on it. Also grabbed a cable integra tranny for the b20 to go in the civic very soon!

As a side note im looking for a b series obd1 distributor if anyone has one kicking around please let me know :)

ginger
President

Postby solorex » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:19 pm

I'd suggest getting your B20 in there and running first, get everything sorted before swapping the B16 head. Is your tranny the short ratio? You want the short ratio, will really wake things up.
solorex
Senior Driver

Postby ginger » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:52 am

Yep thats the plan so far, I want to get the motor in before my aircare expires so I can re-insure as well and not have to deal with aircare. Its not a short ratio but will work for the time being. I plan on doing some long drives with it (packwood) and I think the longer 5th will be nice. That being said if I find a short ratio I will probably just end up swapping the 5th in from this tranny
ginger
President

Postby crazycanadian » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:43 pm

ginger wrote:Yep thats the plan so far, I want to get the motor in before my aircare expires so I can re-insure as well and not have to deal with aircare. Its not a short ratio but will work for the time being. I plan on doing some long drives with it (packwood) and I think the longer 5th will be nice. That being said if I find a short ratio I will probably just end up swapping the 5th in from this tranny

hope you get it done for packwood this year Kevin... I'll see you down there for nationals... :)
crazycanadian
2011-12 Executive Member

Postby ginger » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:25 pm

Well I will be down there no matter what but hopefully I will be able to race there as well haha.

Small update, got the d out of the civic, so much room in there now! Succeeded in pulling off the crank pulled from the b18 to put onto the b20, good god that was a pain in the ass! Had to make our own bar to hold onto the flywheel and motor then get a 5' extension bar on the breaker bar to get it loose. None the less it came off so one more thing off the list.

I definitely have an engine problem... How many do you count?

There are 4 engines...
ginger
President

Postby solorex » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:30 am

ginger wrote:That being said if I find a short ratio I will probably just end up swapping the 5th in from this tranny

That's what I did :wink:
solorex
Senior Driver

Postby ginger » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:00 am

Small update, picked these up from my buddy Jordan and they look awesome! Candy red powder coated, should really pop in the black bay

ginger
President

Postby solorex » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:31 pm

^^ Make sure the powder coat has not "pooled" in any of the teeth, causing it to be shallower than was originally designed. Powdercoat is thick, hence why cam gears are typically anodized not powdercoated. You absolutely do not want that to cause your timing belt to skip!
solorex
Senior Driver

Postby ginger » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:15 am

All the teeth were masked as well as the bore. the powder did end up quite thick so im glad i did it. The stock cam gears are steel as well so I couldnt get them anodized :( Hopefully the powder holds up well. Thanks for the concern though!

I also just got word that my new distributor came in so engine should be going in soon! If i can find some spare time...
ginger
President

Postby ginger » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:31 am

Got back to poco last night to get some work done but lordco didnt have parts in stock so I had to wait on a new water pump, timing belt, tensioner etc. Managed to get a few things done though, new brake pads on the daily as well as threw my cam gears on and look pretty sexy to me:

Also put the new dizzy on. Something about a clean dizzy makes me very happy :) I may have a problem...
ginger
President

Postby ginger » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:02 pm

Finally got a full weekend, well sort of, to work on the engine. I should say I got almost a full day ahha, I made some slush trophies in there as well...
Sorry for the poor photos, lens is cracked on my phone :(

Anyways put on my belt, waterpump, engine mount, other misc stuff as well.

Then she had to come off the stand the throw on the clutch and flywheel!

Installed transmission then had to head out, very close to putting it in. Hopefully try to start it this weekend!
ginger
President

Postby solorex » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:38 pm

Depending on how low you have your car, you will likely end up having issues with the crank pulley clearancing the stock radius rod. To solve this you can run the N1 pulley (no damper) or you can custom machine curved Accord radius rods for added clearance.

Also no real need to dent the frame rail for alternator clearance, you can use your D-series alternator by modifying the upper bracket OR depending on what style of alternator you have swap the D-series pully and run the narrower belt.

Just trying to lessen you headaches when you swap in.

I have a spare N1 pulley and I also may be convinced to sell my extra curved Accord radius rod if you are interested.
solorex
Senior Driver

Postby ginger » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:43 am

Well she is in her new home! Havent done wiring or hoses yet just put in and mounted.

Good to know about the radius rod, I will have to check that next time I am there. I dont run the car very low but also dont want to limit myself. I tried to do the d series alternator trick but it appears the d series I had in there had a b series alternator... I didnt want to get a new one so I used a slightly shorter belt and just a little bit of a dent. I will have to check for clearance later on as well.

Depending on how she looks this weekend I may be giving you a shout about that pulley :)

I also had to bend the front bracket out of the way slightly to get the motor in there, it was resting on it so I pushed it over by about an 1/8". Still would like to look into a way to use that bracket though.
ginger
President

Postby lowside67 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:52 am

Oh my god, all that work for such a beautiful motor and then that exhaust manifold!!! You must be excited to just about have the car back together though :D
Mark Uhlmann, UBCSCC Ex-Pres
BM #51: 2004 Stohr WF1
STX #67: 2011 BMW 128i (sold 2019)
DSP #67: 1997 BMW 328is (sold 2012)
lowside67
Senior Driver

Postby solorex » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:02 pm

ginger wrote:Depending on how she looks this weekend I may be giving you a shout about that pulley :)

I also had to bend the front bracket out of the way slightly to get the motor in there, it was resting on it so I pushed it over by about an 1/8". Still would like to look into a way to use that bracket though.

No problem on the pulley. I cut my front bracket off the x-member completely, but I too want to make up a new torque mount and retain the front transmission bushing.
solorex
Senior Driver

Postby ginger » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:50 pm

lowside67 wrote:Oh my god, all that work for such a beautiful motor and then that exhaust manifold!!! You must be excited to just about have the car back together though :D

That manifold is beautiful! :) I plan on fabing one up later this summer, get the car on the road first though!
ginger
President

Postby ginger » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:44 am

Hoping to get an opinion on crankcase venting. It took me a while looking at my b16 and b18 to realize that the b20 doesn't have a block vent and uses only the valve cover to vent crankcase pressure. Im wondering how badly I need to get a block vent on there, I can use one of my frost plugs for the breather but on a stock motor I dont see myself needing the extra vent. Any help here would be appreciated!
ginger
President

Postby solorex » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:00 pm

Without crankcase venting, my B20 tended to push the dipstick up particularly at autox when you are up and down in the revs a fair amount. You should vent to a catch can via the two frost plugs on the back of the block. I personnaly haven't vented the valve cover, venting the block seems to do the trick.

I think I have a pair of spare frost plugs in a box. Looks like I have a bunch of stuff you need... lol.
solorex
Senior Driver

PreviousNext

Return to Builds and Projects