Ginger EF build

Share you car build or other projects you have going on

Re: Ginger EF build

Postby ginger » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:54 pm

solorex wrote:Without crankcase venting, my B20 tended to push the dipstick up particularly at autox when you are up and down in the revs a fair amount. You should vent to a catch can via the two frost plugs on the back of the block. I personnaly haven't vented the valve cover, venting the block seems to do the trick.

I think I have a pair of spare frost plugs in a box. Looks like I have a bunch of stuff you need... lol.

Haha yes you do! I sent you a message to get your number off you if you are around this weekend.
Kevan Cote - black 1991 Civic si SMF
ginger
President

Postby ginger » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:47 pm

First try

Then after taking out the obd1 injectors that I thought were obd0 and putting in the proper ones

ginger
President

Postby ginger » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:29 am

Sunday came with the final touches. I cut and welded my shift linkage then stuck it in there

Also grabbed an accord radius rod from the pick and pull to clear my crank pulley. Its not a direct fit if anyone is wondering. you need to shorted in by about 2 inches then make the bolt holes slightly wider by about 1/8" each side and she will slide right in. No clearance issues at all so far!

Finally I got her moved around a bit. The tune is still rough and I was tuning it for about 2 hours after dinner but it will come soon enough. Definitely has more torque than the 1.6 :)

ginger
President

Postby Grasshopper » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:40 am

But Kevan, i still don't see a turbo in any of these pictures ;)
Ryan Richman - exUBCSCC VP
1994 Mazda Miata 1.8T - Green - SSM
2004 Mini Cooper S - Lemon Grey
1994 Mazda Miata 1.8NA - Blue - Doryfish (sold)
2007 Ford Ranger - Race Truck/ family support vehicle
2000 Audi A4 2.8 Supercharged (sold)
Grasshopper
Senior Driver

Postby crazycanadian » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:10 pm

think she will keep up this year Kevin... I am excited to see her back out racing..
crazycanadian
2011-12 Executive Member

Postby lowside67 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:13 am

Grasshopper wrote:But Kevan, i still don't see a turbo in any of these pictures ;)

In fairness, there seems to be quite a bit of evidence that supports the theory that adding a turbo might actually make you slower than without it...
Mark Uhlmann, UBCSCC Ex-Pres
BM #51: 2004 Stohr WF1
STX #67: 2011 BMW 128i (sold 2019)
DSP #67: 1997 BMW 328is (sold 2012)
lowside67
Senior Driver

Postby Grasshopper » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:19 am

lowside67 wrote:
Grasshopper wrote:But Kevan, i still don't see a turbo in any of these pictures ;)

In fairness, there seems to be quite a bit of evidence that supports the theory that adding a turbo might actually make you slower than without it...

Shots fired :)
Ryan Richman - exUBCSCC VP
1994 Mazda Miata 1.8T - Green - SSM
2004 Mini Cooper S - Lemon Grey
1994 Mazda Miata 1.8NA - Blue - Doryfish (sold)
2007 Ford Ranger - Race Truck/ family support vehicle
2000 Audi A4 2.8 Supercharged (sold)
Grasshopper
Senior Driver

Postby ginger » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:03 am

haha its staying NA for the time being. If i end up with piles of money and get bored of NA then we may see.

Next step is exhaust as my stock si piping and coffee can is really not cutting it. I currently have 2" stainless cat to axel that I would like to use for the time being. I also have a megan resonated test pipe that I was given in a deal which I planned to use. I have been looking at the dynomax super turbo mufflers to keep the sound down. Im hoping that the smaller pipe may give me some more lower end which would be nice for autocross. Its also what I currently have and would like to keep cost down. Ideas on mufflers though? was also thinking of putting a megaflow resonator in line with the test pipe to keep sound down even more.
ginger
President

Postby lowside67 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:19 am

Grasshopper wrote:
lowside67 wrote:

Hey now, I'm talking turbos, it's not like I insinuated anything about driving... ;)

ginger wrote:Next step is exhaust as my stock si piping and coffee can is really not cutting it. I currently have 2" stainless cat to axel that I would like to use for the time being. I also have a megan resonated test pipe that I was given in a deal which I planned to use. I have been looking at the dynomax super turbo mufflers to keep the sound down. Im hoping that the smaller pipe may give me some more lower end which would be nice for autocross. Its also what I currently have and would like to keep cost down. Ideas on mufflers though? was also thinking of putting a megaflow resonator in line with the test pipe to keep sound down even more.

When I had the EG with the B18C, we built a custom exhaust using I *think* 2.25" single pipe and a Magnaflow muffler, but had to add a baffled resonator after the first event to keep the sound down. After we added the resonator, the car was actually quite quiet and wouldn't be a problem to run anywhere. I would think since your B20 is revving so much lower, you could probably try it without the resonator first, but don't be surprised if you need to put it in.

Actually, now that I think about it, I didn't have a cat on mine, so if you retain the cat then I'd definitely try it without the resonator.

Mark
lowside67
Senior Driver

Postby solorex » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:56 am

ginger wrote:Also grabbed an accord radius rod from the pick and pull to clear my crank pulley. Its not a direct fit if anyone is wondering. you need to shorted in by about 2 inches then make the bolt holes slightly wider by about 1/8" each side and she will slide right in. No clearance issues at all so far!

Be VERY VERY careful with this! You do not want your weld failing, a broken radius rod will be costly, let alone very dangerous. With my accord radius rods I had the threads on the end extended to shorten it rather than cutting the bar. Sorry was out of town this weekend, hence why I didn't get back to you.
solorex
Senior Driver

Postby ginger » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:27 am

Good to know mark, I think ill be playing around with it a bit for sure until Im happy with what I have. A header may be built soon as well... :)

I see what you are saying Tyson, it ground to a large bevel and then had a very hot and slow pass around it. Do you know how yours were machined? I though about trying to mount it in my lathe but the bend would throw it very off center. Id rather do it that way if I can though.
ginger
President

Postby solorex » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:51 pm

I don't know how the guy machined it; I think he managed to get it on his lathe but I remember him saying it was a bit of PITA.
solorex
Senior Driver

Postby lowside67 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:27 pm

lowside67
Senior Driver

Postby gtirnick » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:57 pm

Grasshopper wrote:
lowside67 wrote:

i like how u felt inclined to respond ryan
STR #81
gtirnick
Senior Driver

Postby ginger » Mon May 05, 2014 7:28 am

This weekend I was able to take the car out for a good drive, and finished by parking it at UBC. Its now my daily :)

Got the airbox back in there and drove it pretty hard. No leaks popping up yet, fingers crossed.
Imagehttps://flic.kr/p/ncB5Rg

lots of tuning has been happening
Imagehttps://flic.kr/p/nuMQa5

Then let the old man drive so I could do some live tuning, he enjoyed the new motor quite a bit.
Imagehttps://flic.kr/p/ndg9bB

Garage is empty...
Imagehttps://flic.kr/p/ntPTNs

Just enough room for the next project :)
Imagehttps://flic.kr/p/nu6Kkg
ginger
President

Postby ginger » Tue May 06, 2014 7:49 am

Picked this guy up last night for cheap, will be a starting point for me making a header at least. Ill be able to see where this gives me power and change diameters from there.

The base tune is coming along, starting to mess with timing now so if you see me driving around with a stethoscope youll know why :)

Imagehttps://flic.kr/p/neaiaN
ginger
President

Postby ginger » Tue May 13, 2014 9:13 am

Finally start tuning timing properly, if you see me driving with my stethescope give me a wave :)

ImageIMG_20140513_080019
ginger
President

Postby ginger » Wed May 14, 2014 7:19 am

well I have no control... Picked these up last night for very cheap so I couldnt say no. They are 13x6 appliance rims. No curbing just a cleaning needed and I think they will look quite good. Will make a good set for my hoosier wets in the winter :)

ImageIMG_20140513_191858

ImageIMG_20140513_184105

Thanks Steve!
ginger
President

Postby ginger » Fri May 16, 2014 10:26 am

I have a bit of a problem...
ImageIMG_20140515_182217

ImageIMG_20140515_183044

They are take offs from the UBC E-racing team, thanks guys!
ginger
President

Postby gtirnick » Fri May 16, 2014 3:22 pm

u should talk to jovan, he's got a ton of performance parts leftover for sale
STR #81
gtirnick
Senior Driver

PreviousNext

Return to Builds and Projects