The ugly duckling (SMF Mazda 323)

Share you car build or other projects you have going on

Re: The ugly duckling (SMF Mazda 323)

Postby crazycanadian » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:08 pm

Hey Ryan I sent you a pm... haven't heard back... yes I am interested...
crazycanadian
2011-12 Executive Member

Postby crazycanadian » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:36 pm

Well there hasn't been much to update over the winter... Just some maintenance related stuff mainly...

Had my son help me take the head liner out of the car.. It had come unglued and was hanging down in the back..

I managed to peel it apart and re-glue it back together...

Some New shoes thanks to Benham...

Last but not least I scored a really good deal on a new daily driver... My new 88 Mazda 323 GTX... Feels great to be back in the BF world and have a GTX again.. She needs some tlc but over all she is in good shape... She only has 80,000km on her and she is 100% bone stock, unmolested... The only plan I have is to do the maintenance work and then driver her..

crazycanadian
2011-12 Executive Member

Postby ginger » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:02 pm

only 80000km no the daily! nice find! Also do you have pictures of the headliner reinstalled? interested in seeing how it came out :)
Kevan Cote - black 1991 Civic si SMF
ginger
President

Postby crazycanadian » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:47 am

ginger wrote:only 80000km no the daily! nice find! Also do you have pictures of the headliner reinstalled? interested in seeing how it came out :)

Didn't take any pictures of the reinstall.. Nothing changed it looks just like it did before the glue let go and it fell down... The head liner really should be replaced, Its in pretty ugly shape..
crazycanadian
2011-12 Executive Member

Postby crazycanadian » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:18 am

Wow I haven't updated this in a while. Some of you have seen the car out racing this summer. The car isn't as fast as I want it to be yet but it showed a lot of potential. A 2nd place finish down in Packwood has me amped up for next season. Some major changes are taking place this winter.

A little recap.

Rob broke the axle on his second run during the morning heat at a vcmc event.

We ran back to my place picked up a spare axle and ran back to the pad with some extra tools. After fighting the axle nut we had the axle swapped out and the car ready for the afternoon runs. I finished up 8th over all out of 98 drivers that event.
crazycanadian
2011-12 Executive Member

Postby crazycanadian » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:32 am

Next season Rob and I have some ambitious plans. We hope to make it to 3 possibly 4 of the national tour events with some major changes to the car. Rob has been busy designing a front splitter and rear wing. I have been working on the fuel system. In order to reduce weight and fix out fuel starve issues I am fitting a fuel cell in the car. Our jongbloed rims finally arrived. A couple of new seats and a possible harness bar might make their way into the car if time allows it.

It's our goal to have the car ready for the end of march to take it down to San Diego.

Pics of the rims.

crazycanadian
2011-12 Executive Member

Postby solorex » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:20 pm

Holy wide wheels! What are those 15x10"?
solorex
Senior Driver

Postby thenorm » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:48 am

crazycanadian wrote:Next season Rob and I have some ambitious plans. We hope to make it to 3 possibly 4 of the national tour events with some major changes to the car. Rob has been busy designing a front splitter and rear wing. I have been working on the fuel system. In order to reduce weight and fix out fuel starve issues I am fitting a fuel cell in the car. Our jongbloed rims finally arrived. A couple of new seats and a possible harness bar might make their way into the car if time allows it.

It's our goal to have the car ready for the end of march to take it down to San Diego.

good your wheels finally arrived.

seat is very important. in the end i didnt use harness harness and bar, it was too heavy and un-needed. the seat will hold you in fine with the stock 3 point belt. something to consider.
Norman Hayton -
2014 Mustang GT in F Street
1999 BMW 323i for Rallycross
2011 FSP Canadian National Champion
2017 FS Canadian National Champion
thenorm
Pro-lurker

Postby crazycanadian » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:43 pm

solorex wrote:Holy wide wheels! What are those 15x10"?

That they are Tyson. 15x10s for the front, 15x8's for the rear.

Norm,

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. The seat and all that is last on our priority list right now.
crazycanadian
2011-12 Executive Member

Postby Jaker » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:39 am

I agree with Norm. I had a 4 point harness in the BMW, and quickly realised that the right seat does all the "holding" work quite well and the OEM seatbelt is there just to appease the rules/safety nazis! OEM FTW, much lighter than a racing harness!!!
Jaker
Senior Driver

Postby crazycanadian » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:47 pm

Presents that Rob and I bought our selves for Christmas. :)

The seats were floor models on for a pretty good price, hence the 2 different colors. We ended up getting 5 point harnesses. A big reason why we went with harnesses is due to the factory seat belts getting worn out up front. good replacements for the drivers side are almost impossible to find. Also in the picture is an RCI 5 gallon fuel cell, and a Walbro 255 high volume fuel pump. This should really help us cut some weight out of the car.

crazycanadian
2011-12 Executive Member

Postby crazycanadian » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:49 am

No turning back now.

Looks like switching to the fuel cell is going to be our biggest weight savings. This is a pic of the fuel cell empty. I figure with gas in it we should be around 25lbs.

The stock tank about half full. When I was racing I had to run more then 3/4 of a tank to avoid fuel starving.

Front splitter material ruffly cut and ready to start fitting to the car.
crazycanadian
2011-12 Executive Member

Postby PDM » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:57 pm

So I assume you guys are trailering the car now with such a small cel ??

Why go with the plastic cel - since you're going to have to build a metal enclosure around it any way ?
PDM
Senior Driver

Postby crazycanadian » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:42 pm

PDM wrote:So I assume you guys are trailering the car now with such a small cel ??

Why go with the plastic cel - since you're going to have to build a metal enclosure around it any way ?

Yeah the plan is to trailer the car for out of town events. Locally I'll still drive it to the events.

The plastic fuel cell came down to price. My understanding of the rules, was that it didn't matter what type of fuel cell we ran there still needed to be a cover built.

what are you thinking Don?
crazycanadian
2011-12 Executive Member

Postby crazycanadian » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:45 pm

Yaaa! more updates from last weekend. Spent most of my 3 days off hacking away at my to do list.

First up was tackling the sway bar. I swapped out the Mx3 GS front sway bar for a Zx2 bar. This proved to be a lot of fun. I didn't want to remove my rear header to drop the sub frame down. Instead I unbolted the motor and lowered it with in the engine bay to allow the frame to come down enough to slip the sway bar in.

I haven't measured the difference but the Zx2 bar is larger. I lucked out and managed to reuse the Mx3 sway bar brackets with the Zx2 bushings. This saved me from some fab work. I might still need to do something down the road though. The Zx2 bar binds up on the back of the sub frame if the suspension droops enough.

While I was at it, I fixed the front tie bar so that it would bolt up properly. I also installed a set of 323 lower control arms with my old SS bushings.

Next up I tackled the seats. I needed to build my own brackets to go from the universal rails for the new seats to the floor. My first attempt didn't go so well. I had the rails bolted on upside down (Face palm). I started out, round 2 by building a jig for the rails. This way I could use the jig to level everything out in the car so that the seats were tilted funny.

I used some 1/8" plate and some square tube to form 2 straps.

This is where the jig really helped. I bolted some mounting tabs to the rails and placed the jig on top of the straps and located where I wanted the tabs to go and tacked them in place.

The final product.

Both driver and passenger seats mounts are complete. Just need a little touch up and some paint.

Next up was the fuel cell. I managed to build the brackets and get it installed.

The floor is really flimsy metal, so I used some extra 1/8" plate on top and bottom to sandwich the floor and add some structure to it.

Rob was also over 1 day working on the front splitter. He managed to get all the front strut rods completed. This task took him quite some time as he had to hand thread half the pieces because he couldn't find any left hand threaded rod that would work. I'll have to take some more pictures because there is lots of little detail work thats gone into this splitter.

A shot with out the bumper.

crazycanadian
2011-12 Executive Member

Postby crazycanadian » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:46 pm

Some extra pictures Rob took.

crazycanadian
2011-12 Executive Member

Postby PDM » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:03 am

Looks good.

[snip]
Rob was also over 1 day working on the front splitter. He managed to get all the front strut rods completed. This task took him quite some time as he had to hand thread half the pieces because he couldn't find any left hand threaded rod that would work. I'll have to take some more pictures because there is lots of little detail work thats gone into this splitter.
[unsnip]

FWIW - my front splitter took me close to 2 MONTHS to engineer, design, build, rebuild, build and rebuild again and again and again to get it to where it is now....... All hand drilled and threaded tubes, aluminum rod ends, aluminum adjustable tig welded braces, hand machined screws and brackets. VERY little information out there on adapting splitters to production based vehicles - so there's a TON of trial and error to get them to work and fit properly.

OH, and make sure you have spares ready. Don't wanna be at the track down south with broken turn buckles or hardware.
PDM
Senior Driver

Postby crazycanadian » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:25 pm

Well the work continues. The car is getting so much closer to being back on its wheels and ready for the season. Unfortunately Rob and I ran into some budget and other issues that delayed us. We've decided we aren't going to head down to San Diego at the end of this month. We are finalizing all our plans for Crows Landing in April though. :)

On to the updates. Hoosier has discontinued their A6's so we were stuck having to get A7's. With the canadian dollar as crummy as it is this was a bit of a hit to the budget we didn't need. Oh well. The A7's should last long then the A6's so this might be a good thing in the long run.

Pure sexyness.

Rob has the splitter 90% complete now. He just has some trimming and clean up work left to do. This thing is a beast though.

I haven't taken any pictures, but I have been making progress on the cover for fuel cell and getting the fuel system plumed. Robs next task is tackling the rear spoiler. I have booked the wheel alignment for Friday March 20th, so we have a hard date now that the car needs to be driving. April 12th will be the first event we get to test the car out. Hopefully all goes well.
crazycanadian
2011-12 Executive Member

Postby solorex » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:00 pm

Sweet jesus those are WIDE on those rims... 8)
solorex
Senior Driver

Postby crazycanadian » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:17 pm

Let's just say today was an exercise in 1 step forward 3 steps back. We mounted the tires and finished the fuel system. This was the first time we test fit all the rims and tires on the car and put it down on all 4 wheels. Well needless to say we ran into some unforseen issues.

The rear needs some small 5mm spacers to clear the suspension. Unfortunately the rear studs aren't long enough to have enough thread engagement. So we need to get longer studs.

In the front when I was adjusting the toe I ran out of adjustment. I have an mx3 gs rack in the car. In the past running the mx3 lower control arms this wasn't a problem. I switched back to 323 control arms for this season. This makes the inner tie rod lengths to long for proper adjustment. From the research I have done I should be able to just switch out to 323 inner tie rods and fix the issue.

The last issue has been something Rob has been talking about for a few days. Looking at pictures from last season the car rolls and dives to much. The front spring rate is to soft. If we left the car at this ride height we'll smash the splitter on the ground. We planned to up the spring rates next season but after getting the car on the ground we've realized we need to up the spring rates this season.

On to some more pictures.

this was about the time I realized there wasn't enough adjustment in the tie rods to get the toe set properly.

The "short" list. We've added a couple more items since we've written it. All of this needs to be done by April 12th. The suspension has to be sorted out by next Friday. Yikes!!!
crazycanadian
2011-12 Executive Member

PreviousNext

Return to Builds and Projects