Mazda 323 GTX restoration

Share you car build or other projects you have going on

Re: Mazda 323 GTX restoration

Postby crazycanadian » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:32 am

Next order of business.. Fixing the sloppy shifter... I found this little alignment bushing busted allowing the shifter to twist causing some of the slop.. The rest of the slop was the lack of plastic bushings in the shift cable eyelets..
Image

An old brass drift gave up some of its material for me to make the alignment bushing.. It took some time to drill it out, then slowly grind off material till I had it the right size..
Image

Next up was bushings for the shift cables.. Well it just so happened the toilet had all its internals replaced the morning before.. The copper water tubes just so happened to be the right size to fit perfectly as bushings.. 2 cuts later, problem solved..
Image

After a couple hours I was left with this..
Image

Since I had the shifter out I figured I would take it all apart and regrease it all..
Image

ready to install..
Image
crazycanadian
2011-12 Executive Member
 
Posts: 708
Joined: Mar 2007

Re: Mazda 323 GTX restoration

Postby crazycanadian » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:40 pm

More updates..

I have had issues with my fuel gauge only reading down to 1/4 tank and then stopping... While I had the car apart I figured I would pull the sending units out and test them.. The previous owner told me this issue started after he replaced the fuel tank... I found the secondary sending unit was bad.. Thankfully I had gotten the old tank from the previous owner... The secondary sending unit was good in the old tank..
Image

I also wired in an accessory relay to power up an extra fuse box.. This is going to be used down the road for rally lights and other additions I have planned...
Image

Mounting my amp was an interesting task... The arm rest in the rear panel protrudes into the cavity I wanted to mount the amp.. This meant I had to play with various spacers to get everything to fit.. Once the amp was in place I didn't have any way to put bolts in it.. So I had to come up with some spacers with nuts welded to them... These spacers were then epoxied to the amp so that I could just feed bolts in and tighten it all up.. While I was at it, I wired in the stereo..
Image
Image

Last thing I worked on was building a new speaker shelf for the rear speakers and rear panels.. I am not sure what was done in the past but a lot of things in the trunk had been ripped apart, lost, missing not put together properly.. I started by putting the rear panel in and measuring things out to create a cardboard template.. After that I test fit, and adjusted where I needed to.. From there I copied it over to some scrap steal I had lying around, and cut it out.. I added a little bit to the edges and bent a lip in to the piece to help strengthen it... I was pretty happy with my self.. I started with nothing and came out with both of these pieces in 3 hours..
Image
Image
crazycanadian
2011-12 Executive Member
 
Posts: 708
Joined: Mar 2007

Previous

Return to Builds and Projects



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest