Dodge Charger V6/V8 Class

All questions about car setup and classing should go here.
This forum is courtesy of Driver's Edge Autosport

Dodge Charger V6/V8 Class

Postby GringoFX » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:24 am

Hi guys,

A while ago, Dodge Charger V6 of current generation got moved from GS to DS, where it now proudly sits together with FR-S, STI, TT and other fellows.

I've just checked, out of curiosity, where Charger V8 belongs to, and surprisingly, found that it's in FS!

How can it be that a trim with double the power, top-level brakes, sport suspension, LSD and wider wheels has more handicap than a basic daily commuter?
GringoFX
Novice Driver

Re: Dodge Charger V6/V8 Class

Postby GringoFX » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:03 am

GringoFX
Novice Driver

Postby lowside67 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:16 am

This is the link that of the rulebook that governs classing for us (page 186):
https://www.scca.com/downloads/48116-20 ... d/download

It does appear that the V6 is in DS and the V8 in FS, and I suspect the reality is that nobody has ever campaigned either version in any seriousness. Every car is classed, but every car is not guaranteed to be competitive. Even if it was in HS, the Charger is likely to have an uphill battle and not be a serious contender given the weight. The process to request a review is to submit a letter to the SCCA requesting a change but not sure there is any point...

-Mark
Mark Uhlmann, UBCSCC Ex-Pres
BM #51: 2004 Stohr WF1
STX #67: 2011 BMW 128i (sold 2019)
DSP #67: 1997 BMW 328is (sold 2012)
lowside67
Senior Driver

Postby GringoFX » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:17 pm

This is true, I've never seen another charger or challenger at autocross.
For me, at first place, it is an exercise that makes me a better driver and lets me further learn my car, I don't plan to win any prices with her.
But still, it would be nice to see my progress in a more adequate scale, and it would just feel more rewarding.
I'll try to contact SCCA.
GringoFX
Novice Driver

Postby thenorm » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:07 pm

i assume its because you can get a charger v6 with a 9" wide wheel, which might be overkill for gstreet. on my mustang i stuffed 285 worth of tire on a 9" wheel.

by comparison, the 2 litres turbo Camaro had 8.5" wheels, and it won D street US national in 2018.
Norman Hayton -
2014 Mustang GT in F Street
1999 BMW 323i for Rallycross
2011 FSP Canadian National Champion
2017 FS Canadian National Champion
thenorm
Pro-lurker

Postby GringoFX » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:06 pm

Wouldn't installing 9" wheels instead of stock 7.5" make it fall into Street Touring category (STX)?

Quote from SCCA Solo Rules Book, Street category allowances:
13.4 WHEELS
Any type wheel may be used provided it complies with the following:
A. It is the same width as standard and as installed it does not have an offset more than ±7.00 mm (±0.275”) from a standard wheel for the car.
The resultant change in track dimensions is allowed.
B. Wheel (rim) diameter may be increased or decreased 1” from the standard part. This change may be applied to the front, rear, or both axles.

Street Touring category allowances:
14.4 WHEELS
Any wheels are allowed with widths up to the following (OE wheels exceeding these maximums are not permitted) (in.):
STR (AWD), STS............................................................................... 7.5
STX (AWD)...................................................................................... 8.0
STR (2WD), STX, STH......................................................................... 9.0
STU............................................................................................. 11.0

As for Camaro, I guess, it's less of a boat compared to Charger :)
GringoFX
Novice Driver

Postby GringoFX » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:00 am

thenorm wrote:i assume its because you can get a charger v6 with a 9" wide wheel

Ah, I see what you mean now, they've started to offer factory installed 9" wheels in GT trim!
So if I get such wheels I have an excuse to stay in Street. Mostly, because who actually cares :-D
GringoFX
Novice Driver

Return to Car Setup/Tech & Classification