Wet R-Comps

All questions about car setup and classing should go here.
This forum is courtesy of Driver's Edge Autosport

Wet R-Comps

Postby mistermct » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:08 pm

Considering the amount of wet Vancouver gets I have yet to see a full-tread R-comp at an autocross event... the prices don't seem to be that much different than a premium street tire or a slick r-comp and i would expect the wear rates to be no worse (pure speculation). If you're a year-round racer, it would seem the increased expense would be another set of wheels.

Is it our cold? no one wants to change tires in the rain/put wet tires in their car? not any faster than a premium street tire that can be dual purposed?
-- Sean
2011 Subaru WRX STI in STU/BS
1984 Toyota Corolla 4AG20V - track car!
mistermct
Senior Driver

Re: Wet R-Comps

Postby thenorm » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:03 am

i have never seen anyone run a proper R wet tire like the Hoosier Wets of the Kuhmo W710.

however, i have heard from competitor in the USA, who do have these tires, that it is really hard on them to run them in the dry, they wear out fast. So maybe its because its not a dual purpose tire?
Norman Hayton -
2014 Mustang GT in F Street
1999 BMW 323i for Rallycross
2011 FSP Canadian National Champion
2017 FS Canadian National Champion
thenorm
Pro-lurker

Postby PDM » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:04 pm

Hoosier and Kumho wets are the softest rain only DOT tire on the market. You COULD not run these on the street as you could literally wear them down to the cords on a drive from here to Kelowna if it was dry out. However unlike standard R comps, since they are so soft - they literally wear down much faster and become inefficient in displacing water. (I likely have about the only set of Hoosier H20's around locally and have not used them yet since US Nationals 2011. - bought 3 sets of Hoosier Rains that year.... and wore out one set in a weekends, sold the 2nd set to buy the newer compounded H20's and never mounted them at Nationals as we played the tire game in drying conditions. I would likely have to buy another set next year before US Nationals to ensure I have a very fresh new set)

They work like crazy glue the first few times you run them, but would likely get 6-12 events MAX if the pad was completely soaked (not just damp, but soaked)

Otherwise, you might get 3-4 events period on them if there was dry patches.

It comes down to the amount of puddles available vs how much they would chunk and overheat.

I know for GT road racing, if you put your rain tires on, and the 30 minute race dried up - if you were unable to find puddles to cool off the rain tires, they were junk about 1/2 way through the race. ($1200 rain tires gone in 20 minutes) We'd be literally driving 40-60 feet off line in the straights looking for puddles to cool the chunking rain tires off.

Kumho W710's still appear to be superior to the Hoosiers. My friend's 610 whp GTR EATS everyone alive in the rain on W710's. When the W710's first came out - Kevin Dietz was actually making squeeling tire noise at Packwood as he killed everyone straight time by seconds on a set in a SS Vette. I took my durometer immediately over to his tires....to the rest of us on Hoosier rains, and then to Joe and Gary's R25 Hoosier slicks, and the W710's were softer in durometer than everyone. (about 50 points softer than 3 year old Hoosier rains) You could actually feel a lot of heat and see steam coming off the Vette's tires after they ran dual drivers at Packwood.

But serious racers vie for contingency.....and V710's CANNOT compete against purple crack in the dry- so unless you wish to kiss by your contingency - most opt to run Ho Ho's dry and in the wet. (if you swap to different brands at National Tours or Nationals, you will be caught and not eligible for free tires if you place. - there is a worker position at Tours and Nationals for someone to be looking for decals, numbers, class lettering and tires on as indicated on contingency forms and if you attempt to claim tires and or product or money for signing up for that manufacturer's contingency and not run them - you will be denied and chastized/hazed big time.)

So yeah, if you're baller and want to be top dog in rain events - then buck up for new rims and H20's or W710s' and get ready to throw a nice 60" plasma TV out a 20 story building every 3rd to 4th event ;)
PDM
Senior Driver

Postby mistermct » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:19 pm

Thanks guys.

I like lots of opinions so I emailed Kumho and asked their take on the situation. Basic summary is as Don wrote above: need standing water and/or heavy to moderate rain. Light rain or damp surface isn't enough to cool the tire and keep it from melting. So these would be great for max 2/3 of our slush series events... probably not enough to justify a purchase for me. Maybe someone else?? ;)
-- Sean
2011 Subaru WRX STI in STU/BS
1984 Toyota Corolla 4AG20V - track car!
mistermct
Senior Driver

Return to Car Setup/Tech & Classification