Basic wheel/suspension setup for race tires.

All questions about car setup and classing should go here.
This forum is courtesy of Driver's Edge Autosport

Basic wheel/suspension setup for race tires.

Postby mapleridge818 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:59 pm

I could use a bit of info on suspension setup and wheel choice for my car. I'm looking into purchasing a set of 205/50/15 Toyo r888s for my car. (2200 lb, RWD)
I've read a lot of people referring running different camber and caster setups for different tires. I have a solid rear diff, so there is no adjustment for that in the rear, but what type of camber and caster should I be running with these tires in the front? I drive the car on the street as well, so I'd like to avoid making drastic changes to my suspension every time I go to the track.
Also the wheels I was planning to mount these tires on a 8 inches wide. I found a website that recommended 5.5-7.5 inch rims for the 205/50/15 tires, with 6.5 being ideal. What will the drawbacks of running a 8 inch rim be?

I don't plan on winning any races, I just like to go to the odd event for fun and the 10 year old, all season, tires on my car are leaving something to be desired.

Thank you for any info.
mapleridge818
Novice Driver

Re: Basic wheel/suspension setup for race tires.

Postby ilvtofu » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:27 am

you'd probably have better steering response with the 15x8 than with a 6.5" "Ideal" setup with bulging sidewalls.
Justin Chan
2000 Emerald MIca Miata
ilvtofu
Senior Driver

Re: Basic wheel/suspension setup for race tires.

Postby mapleridge818 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:13 am

That's what I figured too, but why is the tire manufacturer recommending a 6.5? It says the 205 tire is 8" wide, so you think a 8" rims would be ideal.
mapleridge818
Novice Driver

Return to Car Setup/Tech & Classification