Classing Help - Modified Mustang

All questions about car setup and classing should go here.
This forum is courtesy of Driver's Edge Autosport

Classing Help - Modified Mustang

Postby coryreppen » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:52 pm

Hi guys, looking to make sure I have my mullet mobile classed right for Slush. The aftermarket FI would throw me into SM?

2005 Mustang GT 4.6L Coupe
Only mods:
Procharger stage 1 (N/A stock)
Baer Eradispeed brake rotors (larger 14", w/ stock calipers)
Lowered on Eibach Pro springs
Yokohama Advan 255/35/R20 on 20x8.5"

Soon to be:
Koni yellow adjustable
Larger sways
Taking suggestions for a wet/cold/snow tire setup

Thank you in advance for the help.

-Cory
Attachments
unnamed.jpg
coryreppen
Novice Driver

Re: Classing Help - Modified Mustang

Postby Traum » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:03 pm

Yes, the aftermarket supercharger will put you into SM. At that point, you might as well start cutting up your fenders to fit some even wider tires, you know? ;)

I don't have any suggestions on what a suitable wet/cold/snow wheel & tire package might be for you, but I will mention a few general philosophies:

- use the smallest wheel (diameter) that will clear your brakes -- smaller wheels = lighter, and lighter wheels = faster
- use the widest wheel the car or the rulebook will allow -- wider wheel = wider tires, and wider tire usually = faster
- use (roughly) matching wheel and tire widths -- the tire sidewalls are better supported, and better supported sidewalls usually = faster

Using the last point as an example, your 255 tires would be faster if you were to mount them on a 10" wide wheel.
Traum
Senior Driver

Re: Classing Help - Modified Mustang

Postby lowside67 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:46 am

It looked like you were having lots of fun yesterday! In terms of a wet/cold/snow setup - there is no perfect answer and Slush typically involves either a ton of different tires or compromises.

The Continental ExtremeContact Sport (formerly the DW) is widely accepted to be one of the best, if not the best, rain tire choice. The challenge is that it is still a "Max Performance Summer" tire so there will be a point at which the temperature is too low for the tire to effectively work. You can probably get around this at autocross as after a few runs you will likely have built some heat into your tires, but if this needs to also be your commuter car, you should think very seriously before driving around with that tire on cold mornings at 0C.

Continental also makes the DWS06 which is a high performance all season tire. This is a tire that I have run on several of my cars and I really like as a street tire, but there is no doubt that it is not as capable of a wet tire until it is so cold that the ECS is fighting for traction from the compound.

In summary... if you are very serious about winning, you should probably buy the ECS as your rain tire. But then you should not street drive the car in the winter.

-Mark
Mark Uhlmann, UBCSCC Ex-Pres
CM #51: 1998 Van Diemen
STX #67: 2011 BMW 128i
lowside67
Senior Driver

Return to Car Setup/Tech & Classification