Which GoPro to buy for Solostorm?

The place to be for a casual day's fun pushing your car to its limits.

Which GoPro to buy for Solostorm?

Postby KitsBeach » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:05 am

Hi everyone, just tried out my solostorm and GPS package today for first time and would like to add a camera....what is everyone using and why.?

I doubt I'll use the camera much elsewhere, so cheap is good.

Also what mounts.? Was thinking a suction cup for divers side and/or a bar mount for between seats on miata NA (there's some kind of bar back there that looks pretty handy for mounting a camera).

Ken
KitsBeach
Novice Driver

Re: Which GoPro to buy for Solostorm?

Postby RichArienzale » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:43 am

Talk to Mike, but I bet he'd tell you the best GoPro to use is....the Garmin Virb30.

I have a Hero 3+ and 95% of the time it works all the time. However the rest of the time it can be a real PITA. The GoPro cameras are not the most stable when being controlled via WiFi.

Oh, and whatever camera you get, have it connected to a 12V USB charger while in the car so you don't have to worry about battery life. WiFi useage kills the battery quickly.

For mounting, look into good quality suction cup mounts for the trunklid. As long as the top is down you should get good quality video from there. Also ask Dave how he mounted a camera, I'm sure he can give you some ideas.
Richard Arienzale
2004 Honda S2000 -56 AS-
2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V -56 STX- Sold!
RichArienzale
Senior Driver

Postby SnowMongoose » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:19 am

After having issues with two GoPros I took Mike's advice and went with the Garmin, it's been hassle free.

As for mounting, try and use a location that allows sight to cones and to driver.
I suction cup mine externally just behind my left shoulder, let's me see cone proximity, wheelwork, and if I'm looking ahead.
2008 Evo - BS
SnowMongoose
Novice Driver

Postby C10CoryM » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:16 am

I'm fairly new with the SoloStorm/GoPro thing, but my experience so far is similar to Richard's with a Hero5 black.
Red 09 Yaris 5-dr. H-street/FSP
Black Seven (Caterham knockoff) E-mod
Silver 01 Miata STR
C10CoryM
Senior Driver

Postby RichArienzale » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:21 pm

C10CoryM wrote:I'm fairly new with the SoloStorm/GoPro thing, but my experience so far is similar to Richard's with a Hero5 black.

I've found I get the best reliability by pulling the battery from the camera and restarting my tablet right before running. However, occasionally I still get random crap-outs from the GoPro, typically when trying to download the video.

I also find if grid is too close to the start line it thinks I'm staged and starts the camera when I return to grid which confuses the whole system.
Richard Arienzale
2004 Honda S2000 -56 AS-
2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V -56 STX- Sold!
RichArienzale
Senior Driver

Postby thenorm » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:18 pm

I'm running solostorm in my phone, I use the phone camera 1080p. Suction cup mount to windsheild. Meets my needs.
Norman Hayton -
2014 Mustang GT in F Street
1999 BMW 323i for Rallycross
2011 FSP Canadian National Champion
2017 FS Canadian National Champion
thenorm
Pro-lurker

Postby C10CoryM » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:01 pm

Thanks Richard. I'll keep that in mind. Twice I've somehow put mine into Burst Photo mode and it takes a few hundred photos instead of a video. Artsy, but not really what I'm after :D
Red 09 Yaris 5-dr. H-street/FSP
Black Seven (Caterham knockoff) E-mod
Silver 01 Miata STR
C10CoryM
Senior Driver

Postby gtirnick » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:00 pm

most of the issues i've noticed with gorpos is with overheating and the black versions of the gopros. Also i think the hero5 or 6 has a shitty spot metering where it doesnt keep the last setting, and you have to touch the screen and reset it everytime, this is super annoying. i've got a 4 silver and you can set the spot metering in the app and it keeps it there.

it usually does not crap out if you :

use the cheaper midrange silver
use a plastic frame mount housing with a foam cover to counter wind noise. the frame mount leaves the gopro exposed and allows it to run cooler.
run it at 720p instead of 1080 (allows it to run cooler)

the issue with the convertibles tho its exposed to sun, so throwing a towel over it when not running helps it stay cooler.
STR #81
gtirnick
Senior Driver

Postby KitsBeach » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:59 am

Thanks ALL YOU GUYS for your answers....looks like I asked in the right place..!!
KitsBeach
Novice Driver

Return to Autocross (Solo II)