A typical San Diego Autocross....

dovdov
edited May 2010 in Pictures and Videos
What's up took some video today. The camera ran out of batteries though so I didn't get the good runs recorded :(. Thought you guys might be curious what autocross looks like in San Diego.

This is me:

And this is my more talented co-driver:
1990 Mazda Miata (STS) Racecar
1997 BMW 318 convertible (GS) daily

Comments

• edited November -1
    Ooh green colored cones... fancy 8)
  • dovdov
    edited November -1
    bentiac wrote:
    Ooh green colored cones... fancy 8)

Green cones mark the start and starting lights
    Yellow cones mark the finish.
    Blue cones mark the areas each worker station is responsible for.
    :shock:
  • FabFab
    edited November -1
    Wow that's a lot of cones! Our courses are pretty minimalist compared to that.

Must be nice to run on lot that size without having to worry ending up in a field or hitting a fence.
    How many competitors and how many runs on average?
  • edited November -1
    dov wrote:
    Green cones mark the start and starting lights
    Yellow cones mark the finish.
    Blue cones mark the areas each worker station is responsible for.
    :shock:

Omg we need to get us some of those! I loveeeeee cones!
    Stephanie Lee
    01 Honda S2000 [STR]
    07 Honda Fit [STF]
    UBCSCC Director of Member Relations
    UBCSCC President
    Current: UBCSCC Advisor
  • dovdov
    edited November -1
    Fab wrote:
    Wow that's a lot of cones! Our courses are pretty minimalist compared to that.

Must be nice to run on lot that size without having to worry ending up in a field or hitting a fence.
    How many competitors and how many runs on average?

Ya they how they design and build those courses hilarious. They do it with 5 guys. The "course designer" drives a pick up truck along a path he wants the course to take. To guys, one on either side of the truck bed, toss cones out one by one to their respective side. Two other guys walk behind and place the cones upright.

At a championship event like the one in the video there are usually 110-170 people that show up to race. You get 4 runs typically. Although if you are willing to pay for another entry fee you do another 4 "X runs", Bust those don't count toward the championship. Most events are championship events. They also have practice events which have an entry cap of 80 people and at those you typically get somewhere between 9-14 runs. However IF the event isn't full you can buy two entries at a practice event and the second one is half price. A buddy of mine did that and and took 29 runs on a 60 second course for 60$.

The 4 run thing is really good. It's forced me to get a lot better at driving and is good prep for national events. It took a lot for me to get out the the 8 run mentality. It also take a lot more balls to drive these courses. They are a lot faster and 3rd gear is not uncommon.