Recommendations for HD Camcorders.

What do you guys use for In-car video cameras? I was looking at the Go Pro HD cameras, but I don't like the fact that they don't have a screen to preview/replay a video. I was also looking at more "normal" HD video camcorders....what do you guys recommend?

Oh, on a side note....does anyone know of any local stores that sell camera mounts? I'm trying to get setup for the next track day, and I'm kind of running out of time!
2007 Mustang GT

Comments

• edited November -1
    What do you guys use for In-car video cameras? I was looking at the Go Pro HD cameras, but I don't like the fact that they don't have a screen to preview/replay a video. I was also looking at more "normal" HD video camcorders....what do you guys recommend?

Oh, on a side note....does anyone know of any local stores that sell camera mounts? I'm trying to get setup for the next track day, and I'm kind of running out of time!

What kind of camera mount do you need? I have a cage mount available.
  • edited November -1

It's very hard to find a decent but affordable camera with a fish eye lens. Without the fish eye lens you don't really get a feeling for what you are doing and where you are going. The Sports cameras such as the go pro hero have to sacrifice the preview feature to make the camera more durable and compact. I have tried a few video cameras but non of them work so I'll be waiting until I ge myself the hero.
  • edited November -1
    Something that you can attach a wide-angle lens to, since you'll need that to get the best view possible.

I'll find out more on cameras later and make a better suggestion. :)
  • edited November -1

London drugs sell the Fat Gecko camera mount. I think its the same suction cup as the Go Pro. cost about 50$ for the single. I think they also have a double cup mount.
    Norman Hayton -
    2014 Mustang GT in F Street
    1999 BMW 323i for Rallycross
    2011 FSP Canadian National Champion
    2017 FS Canadian National Champion
  • edited November -1
    Thanks, but I unfortunately do not have a roll cage. I am looking for a cruise cam mount, I had one on the 9th (Thanks Diondi). I am looking for a more "normal" camcorder, with option for attaching a wide angle lens, but that's some $$$$. I'm starting to like the go pro, I saw a video where someone attached the camera to the undercarriage, I'd like to see how much my axle moves laterally with the panhard bar.

What kind of camera mount do you need? I have a cage mount available.[/quote]
    2007 Mustang GT
  • edited November -1
    I have a gecko mount I would sell to you as I am now using a rollbar mount, here is some testing I did with that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLiQoLLYaY8

This is some in-car from Knox with a rollbar mount and my point & shoot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HOSyjVzRgo

I use a Panasonic DMC-TS1 which is a 12MP point & shoot with a 28mm lens. It also has the added benefit of being both shock resistant and water resistant.

-Mark
    Mark Uhlmann, UBCSCC Ex-Pres
    BM #51: 2004 Stohr WF1
    STX #67: 2011 BMW 128i (sold 2019)
    DSP #67: 1997 BMW 328is (sold 2012)
  • edited November -1
    Mark, thanks for your offer on the Gecko mount. If I were to use one, I think I'd mount it on the rear window, so I can see the movement of my hands. Only problem is, I have rear window defrosters, and that might mess with the suction cup. I'll have to look and see if there's a decent sized "clean" patch on my window.

On a side note, that video of you blasting up Knox Mountain is awesome! You controlled that oversteer really good, without severe overcorrection (I've crashed my car because of overcorrection). Being able to see hands working the wheel gives good insight.
    2007 Mustang GT
  • edited November -1
    Hey Ivan, I'm at work right now so I'm just posting this while I have some free time. :lol:

For "regular" camcorders your best best is the Sony CX110 or the Sony XR100. Both can use the Sony wide-angle attachment ($69) and have a fairly wide angle of view. The CX110 is $448, the XR100 is $599. The CX110 will have a 25mm lens after the attachment is used, and the XR100 will have a 29mm lens.

For digital cameras that's a whole other ball game entirely, and it's going to be hard to pick out one, haha.

This is at London Drugs, and we can provide you with a gecko suction cup mount as well. :mrgreen:
  • edited November -1
    I don't know jack about camcorders or cameras....I've seen some Sanyo HD Camcorders offer a "38mm Wide Angle Lens", is that superior to a 25mm? I am a camera noob.

My sister does have a Nikon D90, but I don't think I want to take that out in the car, especially attached to a suction cup, lol.

Oh, I should mention I am using a Mac, apparently some cameras don't like Macs?
    2007 Mustang GT
  • edited November -1
    Bigger number = longer focal length = more zoomed in. You want the smallest number you can get for wide angle purposes.
    Mark Uhlmann, UBCSCC Ex-Pres
    BM #51: 2004 Stohr WF1
    STX #67: 2011 BMW 128i (sold 2019)
    DSP #67: 1997 BMW 328is (sold 2012)
  • edited November -1
    When comparing focal length keep in mind the frame size of the camera as well. The smaller the frame size the more zoomed in it will be and the smaller focal length you would want for your lens. For a 35mm frame you would want 15-25 while for a digital 1/3" frame you might want to find a 5-15mm lens.
  • edited November -1
    I don't know jack about camcorders or cameras....I've seen some Sanyo HD Camcorders offer a "38mm Wide Angle Lens", is that superior to a 25mm? I am a camera noob.

My sister does have a Nikon D90, but I don't think I want to take that out in the car, especially attached to a suction cup, lol.

Oh, I should mention I am using a Mac, apparently some cameras don't like Macs?
    Like mentioned, you want a lower number for a wider angle lens.

The cameras are fine, it's just some driver issues regarding Macs which has been mostly addressed these days.

Ivan, give me a call later tonight and we'll talk more... just got a Canon e-mail that gives me some discounts on products. :wink:
  • edited November -1
    Well guys, I cheaped out and went for a Sanyo VPC ZH1, refurbished at XS Cargo for $179.99+tax. Shoots in 720P, comes with extra battery and cheapo carrying case. I figured the money I saved would be well put towards another track day and the consumables that come with it.

I'm suffering some buyer's remorse, because quite frankly, the quality isn't very good. Low light shooting is poor, and the auto focus seems non-existent at times. Camera is certainly a "Youtube Special". I suppose I should be satisfied, the phrase "You get what you pay for" comes to mind.

Anyways, here's a quick video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd7Ebk8_UVU
    2007 Mustang GT