Been gone awhile, hopefully ready to go again this spring

edited October 2012 in The Shenanigans Forum
Probably won't remember who I am, the guy with the old SUV.

This was my ride for my first event in 30 years.
jimmy-1.jpg

Was unable to attend many more due to family stuff that came up. I had to retire the old girl and found a steal of a deal.
After fixing a few things, and deciding it was a keeper I spent 3 days and swapped all my suspension goodies from my 89 AWD Jimmy over to this one.
After getting everything just right I took it for it's maiden voyage taking my camera along with me.
HPIM3428.jpg
HPIM3429.jpg

It turned out to be a very rewarding 3 days and enjoyed the fruits of my labor. I was looking forward to spring of 2012 to get back out on the course.

Then the unimaginable happened. I had just stopped at a red light and looked in my rear view mirror and saw a semi's grill rapidly advancing. I made a quick decision to run the red light, but I only got about 2 feet ahead when he hit me hard. I flew across the intersection with the impact. I was lucky I only got a sore neck, back and shoulders. The driver of the semi, from the US, told me he didn't know why the traffic in front of him was slowing down, so he changed lanes to pass them. They were slowing down for the light like I was.

So this is what my Jimmy looked like less than a week after I did all that work.
2011-11-17_12-36-58_582.jpg
2011-11-17_12-39-52_630.jpg

That was back in November and I'm still working on getting this settled. I didn't have collision on it and have since learned that if you don't have collision and you are hit by someone from outside of BC, you are on your own to dealing with the other insurance company. ICBC will only pass on any information they have but you have to make a settlement. If ICBC does not pay out they have no interest in being part of the settlement.

So I've had to buy another truck, with my own money and hope that I will some day get reimbursed. The truck I have now is a great truck but not what I want to auto-X. So hopefully I can get this behind me soon and find some new wheels.
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." ~ Mario Andretti

Comments

• edited November -1
    Wow, didn't know that about dealing with non CDN insurers!
  • edited November -1
    Sorry to hear about your string of hard luck. With the faults and responsibilities of the accident being pretty clear cut, I hope the the US insurance co. will be forthcoming and sufficiently easy to work with in resolving the claim.

-Lik
  • edited November -1
    Sead wrote:
    Wow, didn't know that about dealing with non CDN insurers!

Actually it's anybody that is NOT insured with ICBC, so Alberta, U.S., etc.. If you have no collision and they hit you, it's up to you to settle with their insurance company. I now have collision on my current truck.

So far the hold up has been ICBC. They say they requested the police report in November, and they still do not have it. I can't do anything with the U.S. company until I have that.

Also so lost my wife's Lexus to a U.S. driver that ran a red light in front of us 6 days earlier to my truck getting hit. Just got that one settled a couple of days ago. She had collision.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." ~ Mario Andretti
  • edited November -1
    Well after a long time I am back on the road again :D

I'm very picky about my DD and it took me 7 months to find a suitable optioned and condition replacement.

Introducing my 1999 AWD Jimmy.
    HPIM3601.jpg

HPIM3596.jpg

I've swapped my suspension over and I'm ready to go again. Now to get caught up on what I've missed.
  • edited November -1
    Looks great! Are there any Jimmy/Blazer models of that era with a subtle bodykit?

Is it a distorted pic, or is the rear camber out of whack?
  • edited November -1
    Sead wrote:
    Looks great! Are there any Jimmy/Blazer models of that era with a subtle bodykit?

Is it a distorted pic, or is the rear camber out of whack?

I think its just how the truck is sitting Sead... Unless his rear axle tube is bent... doubtful if it drives nice..
This discussion has been closed.