Suggestion for cheap cameras for filming runs

Hey guys,

Just wanted to point out the "808 keychain camera" to those who haven't heard of them. It's what I use to film my runs and I'm happy enough with it. Did I mention it only costs $30-40?

So it's a very small and cheap camera from china (ebay) so you get what you pay for. Mine seems to have a bad mic (crackles), but I'd planned on soldering in a 1/8" jack on it and running an external mic anyhow to avoid wind noise (they don't like wind). The #11 at 1280x720 and is certainly good enough for autoX. Cheap enough to put in risky spots as well. I think I paid $34 for it from a reputable seller (plus you need a good microSD card: Another $30). Made a really ugly but effective mount out of about $4 worth of materials.

Lots more info here:
http://chucklohr.com/808/

And you can find my videos here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/C10CDM2

I found out about them by a similar post on another forum so figured I would pass on the knowledge. Also want to see more onboard videos so I can learn how to drive :mrgreen:

Cheers
Red 09 Yaris 5-dr. H-street/FSP
Black Seven (Caterham knockoff) E-mod
Silver 01 Miata STR

Comments

• edited November -1
    Interesting find, Cory. I saw your mount when I was passing by your car yesterday, and I was wondering what the heck that key chain was!

The video seems to skip/drop a frame or two every now and then, but at the prices you are paying, it'd be plain silly to complain about that.

The best thing is, if I were to buy one, I think the easiest way to mount it is to just use some duct tape! :lol:

-Lik
  • edited November -1
    That's not bad for what it is! I wasn't expecting it to be HD either. Cool find, I'll think about getting one of these.
  • edited November -1
    My camera is the #11 jumbo. Looks like an Audi key/fob.
    I'm happy enough with the thing. Other than the crackly mic it suits me well. Velcro is a popular way to attach them. They weigh very little. I wanted a way to quickly put it on, and not have to aim it every time so built a mount.

Cheers.
    Red 09 Yaris 5-dr. H-street/FSP
    Black Seven (Caterham knockoff) E-mod
    Silver 01 Miata STR