aluminum lug nuts

Just curious, i know there's not much performance gain to be had, but what is the word on aluminum lug nuts? Are they allowed in autox, what about track days at mission, are there any issues with them. Obviously they aren't as strong as steel but i have a set already and just want to know if they are alright to use.

Comments

• edited November -1
    eh.. they are probably OK. But personally at Mission with the amount of braking you have to do and the heat you build up in your brakes, I personally prefer using steel, chrome vanadium or a cromo lug nut over aluminum just for piece of mind.
  • PDMPDM
    edited November -1
    I've used aluminum lugnuts for years in my various race cars (100-600+WHP) auto-x cars, and never had issues. Just do not impact them off or on.

Road racing, we always used steel, and all cars whether steel or aluminum, will get new lug nuts and wheel studs every other season as they are wear items that can and will fail over time.
  • edited November -1
    PDM wrote:
    ...get new lug nuts and wheel studs every other season as they are wear items that can and will fail over time.

wheel studs a wear item that will fail over time? ... nawwww!
    8389682033_a8a0591609_z.jpg
    "Oh snap!" photo by pistachoo