Tires for slush series

Hey guys, we got a new car this summer (2003 Mini) and I have decided that I would like to run an all season tire this winter instead of a winter tire. What is peoples opinions on the current offerings out there for suitable tires for auto x?

Comments

• edited November -1
    the best slush tire is probably still the Conti extreme contact DW. however it is a high perf summer tire. but it really does work well in cold rain. it doesnt work well in snow. and it isnt as good at the Rivals, RS3, re11, r1r, etc.

are you wanting just 1 tire to drive on all winter and do some auto-x?

i havent really come across any review sites for all seasons in an auto-x setting. you best bet might be browsing the tirerack ultra high perf all season category.
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/types/uhpas.jsp
    Norman Hayton -
    2014 Mustang GT in F Street
    1999 BMW 323i for Rallycross
    2011 FSP Canadian National Champion
    2017 FS Canadian National Champion
  • edited November -1
    thenorm wrote:
    the best slush tire is probably still the Conti extreme contact DW. however it is a high perf summer tire. but it really does work well in cold rain. it doesnt work well in snow. and it isnt as good at the Rivals, RS3, re11, r1r, etc.

are you wanting just 1 tire to drive on all winter and do some auto-x?

i havent really come across any review sites for all seasons in an auto-x setting. you best bet might be browsing the tirerack ultra high perf all season category.
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/types/uhpas.jsp

Yes, i'm looking for an all season tire to run all winter. Being that I live in Squamish I have always run winter tires through the winter because you are supposed to have them to drive the Sea to Sky. But when the government changed the highway speed limits they also changed the tire requirements for the Sea to Sky back to just all season tires. I was not happy with the snow tires performance on my other car around the track so I want something a bit better for the new car this year. I will then switch over to a dedicated summer tire in the spring.
  • edited November -1
    are you against swapping tires the day of race?

best performance would be to have winter tires for winter daily driving, but swap to and race on your summer tires on the day of event.

even though winter tire may not be required. I still would recomend them. as you have no doubt experienced, they are far superior to all season tires on slush and snow. a few tire changes per season is worth not sliding into a ditch or a fender bender (or worse)
    Norman Hayton -
    2014 Mustang GT in F Street
    1999 BMW 323i for Rallycross
    2011 FSP Canadian National Champion
    2017 FS Canadian National Champion
  • edited November -1
    ^x2; totally agreed you are better of having a second set of tires.
  • edited November -1
    If the 03 mini use 15" rims, the conti DWs won't fit. The Kumho ecsta 4X seems to be the best slush tire in that size. In the snow they are OK around the GVRD but I wouldn't be too keen on going up a mountain with them.

Cheers.
    Red 09 Yaris 5-dr. H-street/FSP
    Black Seven (Caterham knockoff) E-mod
    Silver 01 Miata STR
  • edited November -1
    There is another choice Conti DWS (not DWs).
  • edited November -1
    Well, the wife wants snow tires for going up to Whistler, so I guess I will keep an eye out for a cheap second set of wheels for the car to put the winters on.
  • edited November -1
    ^ Just do what i did and buy a cheap set of rims and tires used for $300
    Ryan Richman - exUBCSCC VP
    1994 Mazda Miata 1.8T - Green - SSM
    2008 BMW 535xi - Blue - Stock
    2004 Mini Cooper S - Lemon Grey (sold)
    1994 Mazda Miata 1.8NA - Blue - Doryfish (sold)
    2007 Ford Ranger - Race Truck/ family support vehicle
    2000 Audi A4 2.8 Supercharged (sold)